Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Disable stock sms app?

I am now using handcent to receive double sms notifications, one for the stock sms app and one for handecent. Is there a way to disable the stock one?

Thanks, -B

Global Posts
    4,943 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

In the stock app go to Settings and un-check Notifications so it will stop notifying you.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

TY. I guess that was stupid to ask.

I also guess that the stock sms will keep running in the background. I wonder if I could shut it down with task manager without killing any processes on handcent.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui 1.1.7.0,

IF you're rooted, especially using Bugless Beast you can remove the stock MMS option.
    gtalk: Sethjk

That may be true with Handcent but i dont think so. With Go SMS it explicitly tells you in the tips that you cant remove stock or it wont work anymore.

ROM
    CM7

I deselected the notifications in the stock sms app as well as fetching.
    Combo that with freezing the stock sms app, then kill it. It never runs in the background anymore and handcent works like normal. Dinc

Quote Originally Posted by fox79 View Post
    TY. I guess that was stupid to ask.

I also guess that the stock sms will keep running in the background. I wonder if I could shut it down with task manager without killing any processes on handcent.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-lutionary View Post
    That may be true with Handcent but i dont think so. With Go SMS it explicitly tells you in the tips that you cant remove stock or it wont work anymore.
    I also believe that Handcent uses the database from the stock messaging app so if you delete the messaging app with root Handcent will no longer work.