Message notification but no message

jsampson45

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
I was logging on to a site where I had to receive a number by SMS. The "Message" app showed that there was one message unread but there was no message visible. I eventually found it in the archive although it had arrived ony a minute previously.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What messaging app are you using?

On Google Messages there is a swipe action option as shown in the attached image. If your not using Messages but some other app there may or may not be this option, but if so have you perhaps got this set to 'Archive' and you've swiped the notification away?

1000000394.png

Attachments

• 1000000394.png
    1000000394.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 5

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What messaging app are you using?

Sorry, I should have been more specific but the screenshot I attached was in the settings of Google Messages.

EDIT: I did say it was for Google Messages: is that what you're using?

jsampson45

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
I am using Google Messages, with the speech-bubble icon, on a Samsung S7 phone. I thought the swipe options must be in the settings for Messages but I cannot find any swipe options. We must be looking at different versions.

Reactions: Sizzers

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Scrolling down in Messages settings there is a setting for 'Swipe actions'.

However as your phone is 8 years old then maybe the latest versions of Messages aren't available on your phone with this feature.

If that option isn't there in the settings menu then unfortunately I have no other suggestions as to why the message was archived.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- you're certain that it was in the Archived section, and not the Spam & Blocked section? Those two options are right next to each other, so I could imagine accidentally tapping Spam & Blocked when you thought you were tapping Archived, and finding the message there.