Poynt Now Avail. for Android

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just got the email and downloaded myself. BOUT TIME. I made a thread here last November when I emailed them they said they were looking into it. Better late than never.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
ah yes!! It's about time I had this on my blackberry and it was the best app I had on there I would use this about everyday.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Poynt had much less competition in the BB world, but it seems there are better options for Android users, especially since Poynt's phone directory never seemed that good (I think it uses Bigfoot or something, but I remember it was always very out of date). Still, it's always good to seem more quality apps offered for multiple platforms.

-SR-

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What is the point of ...poynt?

I came from BB and yes, poynt was great there - but with so many different apps on Android that offers this type of service, it just seems that it would be just another app that I'll never use. I guess it's all about personal preference, unless I'm missing something.

I mainly use a combo of google maps and yelp for what I would use poynt for - is there something that poynt does better?

wryun

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was stoked to see this release, and installed it right away as soon as I got the notification email about it.

A few days before, I also updated my Google Maps app which includes the new "Places" function.

I tried Poynt for a little bit, but then realized Google Maps Places does a better job, so I removed Poynt. Although, it still reigns as the superior BlackBerry app IMO!

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was stoked to see this release, and installed it right away as soon as I got the notification email about it.

A few days before, I also updated my Google Maps app which includes the new "Places" function.

I tried Poynt for a little bit, but then realized Google Maps Places does a better job, so I removed Poynt. Although, it still reigns as the superior BlackBerry app IMO!

I agree completely. As soon as Google Maps Places was released in their latest update, I stopped caring about Poynt coming to Android. It finally was released, I tried it, and I think I'm going to stay with Google Maps Places. Poynt was THE application on BlackBerry for searching businesses and restaurants but after seeing Places, I think I'll stick with it.

Also, Poynt for Android does not seem as polished as it was for BlackBerry but it is v1.0 so I'm sure they'll work it all out.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely. As soon as Google Maps Places was released in their latest update, I stopped caring about Poynt coming to Android. It finally was released, I tried it, and I think I'm going to stay with Google Maps Places. Poynt was THE application on BlackBerry for searching businesses and restaurants but after seeing Places, I think I'll stick with it.

Also, Poynt for Android does not seem as polished as it was for BlackBerry but it is v1.0 so I'm sure they'll work it all out.

+1 to that, I tried multiple different similar apps.. Aloqa, Yellow&White Pages, Where, Yelp, etc. They were all OK in their own right but most of them were randomly out of date with the places around my area so I didn't rely on them too heavily. Once Google Maps introduced Places I immediately tried it out and was hooked. I have since uninstalled all other location type apps. So far Places is working out great!

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What is the point of ...poynt?

I came from BB and yes, poynt was great there - but with so many different apps on Android that offers this type of service, it just seems that it would be just another app that I'll never use. I guess it's all about personal preference, unless I'm missing something.

I mainly use a combo of google maps and yelp for what I would use poynt for - is there something that poynt does better?

It's worth it just for the reverse phone number look up IMO.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps Places is nice... but really is no substitute to the purpose of Poynt.

Poynt will give you nearest gas stations based on best prices for particular fuel types. I don't see this in Places.

Poynt offers Reverse Phone Number lookup.

Poynt offers a much better UI for nearby theaters, nearby movies, Top 10 movies, and more.

Poynt provides restaurant/bar searching with more search engines than google places does (superpages, citysearch, and opentable).

And more.

At the same time... Google Places offers a few things that Poynt doesn't. Poynt integrates well with Google Maps and offers a slew of nice services from a simple UI. It's still new to Android, and I'm relatively confident it will grow and expand rapidly to the extent it won't be long before a lot of Android users are just as addicted to it as Berry users are.

RJSH_1727

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Using Reverse Lookup

It's worth it just for the reverse phone number look up IMO.

Do u know if there's an easy way to use Reverse Look-up like on BB? All you had to do was select the number in your Call History and Reverse Look-up was automatically listed in your Menu. There's no option with the Android phone. Well, I haven't found a way yet. I have to enter the number manually. And there's not even a Copy or Paste all option in the Menu either. If someone knows of any other way than the options I've listed, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your help!

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i know poynt has high rating, but what's the poynt of poynt?
doesn't places work. why is poynt considered good. is it just because you are familiar from bb or are there superior services and ui?

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I loved Poynt on BB. Now it is ok. What a sheltered life a BB user has. With Android I have turned into an app junkie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress