opera mini 5 is here!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain what makes it better than the android webkit version. I used it when I had a BB Storm 2 out of necessity but do not think I will sport the browser on my Eris. Do not see the need.

rw6497

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
its very fast and renders pages near perfect. not crazy about fonts cause it uses systems .its free . give it a shot.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Opera Mini Beta

Horrible. Just plain horrible.
(Will post more in a bit, using it to post this.
Gotta go back to the default browser...jesus)

Wow that browser is horrible.
Signing in was a workout. I pressed on the sign in boxes tons of times, and finally it worked.
Then had to do it again for the password...JESUS!

I hate the scrolling. So irritating not being able to scroll and have a lengthy 'glide'.
It runs pretty fast, renders quick, BUT it renders pretty bad. **** is misaligned, (Try these forums), the rendering doesn't look as good. It has this crappy feel to it.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
I guess it does. I didn't like it on BB either.
Was expecting more, kinda dissapointing how bad it is.

Edit
Just noticed, this is the first thread I have ever started...LOL

Last edited:

JerseyFF

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried it for 5 minutes....it has since been uninstalled! Could not appreciate the way that pages are rendered. Back to Dolphin...

tender

Jan 13, 2010
terpconnect.umd.edu
Opera Mini proxy

The main reason I do not like Opera Mini is because all web traffic goes through their servers. Opera's servers compress images and stuff, then sends it to your phone. To the end user, it appears that browsing is much faster.

from Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world

"Opera Mini compresses pages by up to 90% before being sent to your phone, meaning faster page-load times than in other mobile Web browsers."

jrkalina

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
but on the downside...
-no pinch zoom
-flick scroll is somewhat slow
-some pages dont render as well
positives
-incredibly fast
-double tap is more responsive
-easier to use multiple windows

theres more its in beta so theres bound to be bugs but when the full version comes out i imagine these will be solved

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Uh, I don't know what crack you guys are smoking but this browser is the best mobile browser I've seen yet. Every site I visit loads lightning fast, the scrolling is incredibly smooth, and I've noticed the page layouts are cleaner.

Thumbs up on this one.

[edit]
I use the mobile version of these forums btw. I also get smooth scrolling with a good "glide" on most stuff I visit.

Last edited:

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
True, the Android browser lacks true tabbed browsing, but with multiple switchable windows does tabbed browsing and the speed dial feature warrant replacing that which is fast, renders well, and integrates nicely with the rest of the Android operating system?

There’s no pinch to zoom or automatic repagination with Opera, So what am I missing?

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
The only reason Opera Mini 5 is fast is because web content is stored on Opera's servers and compressed by 90% before being delivered to your phone. Naturally anything compressed is going to load faster. Think of zip files in e-mail.

DroidErisV

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Fast very fast! Compared to the Eros browser. With Android 2.1 after beta this should be a must have. With multi touch this would ne a perfect.

Come on with 2.1 enough already.

rw6497

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
yeah what the hell are people talking about? its a free browser that actually does a good job for what it suppose to do . ridiculously fast. saves bandwidth .does DECENT job of rendering pages. its FREE lol. why complain on a free product that's in beta to boot. yes its true , Eris browser much better at rendering pages, but not that great . compare for yourselves. open both browsers and switch back and forth. lmao wasn't that different. stock browser def smoother n all but heck of a lot slower.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I like the convenience of its speed. It gets me what I need and it does it with a visually appealing interface. I have no complaints. I don't care why its fast, just that it is. The more I use it the more a fan of it I become.

txbosox

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It's very fast, compared it last night to my father's Eris default Browser and most pages rendered much faster (both on WiFi). Some pages that were kept simple, like my work's website (minimal graphics, zero ads and no flash) came up simultaneously.

Opera presents the text already aligned to be zoomed in on. I like this because on the Eris the default browser has to realign it when you try to zoom. I like that it keeps you from needing to side scroll (default browser) but it lags if the phone isn't fresh from a reboot. Opera keeps it nice and speedy all day long, and going back to previous pages is super fast. I like the trackball feature when zoomed out, if you get it close to a block of text, it's pretty good about figuring where you wanted to go and zooms on the block of text.

It has a few things I don't like, text is really rough and basic, hoping for some options later on. Also noticed signing in took a few tries to get it to go, but once you get signed in, things fly. It's still in Beta, will be keeping this and looking forward to new features later on.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member