Is this all there is??

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
To start off, this is somewhat of a rant...Its about apps so I figured this might be the best place to get some feed back.

I am a proud owner of a Droid X and a Wifi Xoom. I am also an avid fan of the the Android product for its openness and ability to customize the user experience.

Here's my rant: Is this all we get??

I love my phone and have tweaked it to the n'th degree of my comfort level...It does all the things I need it to do and it still take/makes calls and sends and recieves texts...lol Same with my Xoom...Rooted and customized kernel et al...

Where are the apps for these devices?? Why are the developers staying away from Android? Because its Open Source?

I feel like I've reached the potential for my device because there just arent apps out there that do the things that I need, all the while the "fruity" app store has what I need/want to be able to be productive in my field of work.

Am I missing something here, or has Android become a tweakers delight? I DONT want to buy an iPad, or an iPhone for that matter. But for all the openness we have here, they have all the form and functionality of mainstream applications and the attention of the development community.

I would gladly give up the ability to root and customize my kernel for an Android app that will see LTC Timecode, or will have tools that help me do my job in the Audio/Video world....

There are some good apps out there. SL Digislate is a great slate app...but it falls short of being more useful because it doesnt read Timecode. I cant use Time of Day on everyshoot...

I know this comment might agrivate some, but it seems like the apps we do have are repeats of other apps...most are quite amature at best.

Like I said, I know there are some great apps out there...I have no problem paying whatever if its a good app..Believe me!! If someone comes up with the stuff I can use, I would pimp it till the cows come home. I believe in Android...I'm just affraid it will never gain valitidy in a world/market when these types of questions dont come up.

Comment away, and please excuse my frustration...I just want a device thats better and more useful than the competition.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
First, you should really buy the device(s) that do what you want, so if Android doesn't and iOS does, you're probably using the wrong OS.

FWIW, I don't know what your line of work is and had to look up to see what LTC Timecode was (I am assuming it's some kindof sound/music field you're in based on that). For my line of work, I haven't had any issues finding apps that do what I need. I know it's a little short in the games department though :)

I suspect things will improve over time if you're not finding apps you need, due to a couple of things:
  • Android is the most popular OS on smartphones (as of several months ago), so devs will follow.
  • Apple has increasingly become more anti-dev friendly (increased fees, locked down app store, 30% cut of in-app purchases (and those are forced since Hulu had to change their app to force signups of Hulu+ through the app rather than directing to their site, thus giving Apple their 30% cut).

I can see why devs like to develop for iOS though....after all an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone (for the most part) while Android has a few hundred different devices that cause compatibility issues. That and the iPad is still the most popular tablet, for now anyways.

I have an iPad 2 (and an EVO phone), and find the iPad severely lacking, FWIW. Not to mention Flash, but it's sorely missed, but other "features" of it annoy me....no alternative keyboards, one (and only one) email signature that gets used on all your email accounts, etc. Not nearly flexible enough for me at the moment, but I do like the big screen and the apps tend to be "flashier" if you're into that. I could go on about things I don't particularly care for with it, but won't bore you.

Last edited:

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
I cant stand iOS. I've never thought it was a good platform to begin with but I agree with your reasoning...iOS is iOS etc...I am a Mac user, thats where my comittment to Apple starts...and ENDS!

I do work in the Audio/Video world...Mostly Audio, but I use Timecode devices to sync multiple cameras and slates together etc...

I dont think its unreasonable to want good apps...I dont want to switch platforms, I like my phone and I like my tablet. I just want them to be more useful in my world. I will be severely disappointed if I have to buy an iPod just to use a few of the app I need to do my job.

Sometimes I think that Android is too open for its own good...and this is why devs stay away. Like you said, too many devices and with bootloaders being open and all the developement in the ROM world, I think it scars devs away because of the trouble they would have supporting an app in who knows how many version of an OS.

Anyway, my two cents...and like I said its a rant. I hope things do improve!

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agree with you. I love android having come from iOS and blackberry in the past. The devices are stronger, and the OS encourages you to have the experience you want from it.

Having said that, as a motorsport writer in my spare time, i bought a tablet to help me function quicker in the field, at racetracks etc. I went with an ipad, and at the moment would love to switch to an Asus Transformer, but the lack of apps that do what i need is keeping me back. My ipad has a camera connector kit and massive quantities of good quality photo editing apps that can achieve far more than any i have seen on android as yet. The user experience is a little disjointed on iOS but i still feel that if i sell the ipad, i might regret it later

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
2 things.

1. If what you are looking for is too obscure it will probably never be developed (capitalism...no demand...no supply). Best bet is to code one yourself or pay to have it done and own the royalties.

2. The top apps across the 2 platforms are usually pretty close as far as phones go. iPad however has so much more to offer than the Xoom...sad to say.

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
2 things.

1. If what you are looking for is too obscure it will probably never be developed (capitalism...no demand...no supply). Best bet is to code one yourself or pay to have it done and own the royalties.

2. The top apps across the 2 platforms are usually pretty close as far as phones go. iPad however has so much more to offer than the Xoom...sad to say.

I dont agree with #1 at all. What I'm looking for is not at all obscure because these apps have already been developed on another platform...thats the whole reason for my rant. I want these apps on Android!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Android Development is starting to catch up -- give it some more time and it will be better in terms of app quality and diversity. There are many iOS Developers making the transition and bring successful apps from iOS to Android -- it just takes time. Also, I would suggest lobbying the developers who have made apps for other OS' to bring the same goodness to Android. There may be enough interest but no one has stepped up to the plate to make the demand known.

Also, it might be worthwhile to find an app that is within the same category and see if the Developer is willing to implement the missing features.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If it already exists on iOS, and it is something people are willing to pay for, I would be extremely surprised if the developer didn't respond positively to an email requesting a port to the Android OS.

Android is half the age of iOS, yet already taking over in marketshare. I imagine within two years, you will see posts like this ranting about how no one makes anything good for iOS anymore. ;)

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I dont agree with #1 at all. What I'm looking for is not at all obscure because these apps have already been developed on another platform...thats the whole reason for my rant. I want these apps on Android!
An app that reads LTC timecode is a niche app whether or not an iOS option exists.

Have you contacted any of the developers to ask them why they're not developing for Android? Posting a rant here isn't going to be productive unless a developer happens to read this very thread. If you want a solution then switch to the OS that has the apps you want or motivate devs to develop the apps you want.

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
What's the app on iOS called?

The app I'm specifically talking about is made by Ambient.

Ambient Products Timecode Clockit TC APP

There are a few others out there that do this, but this one seems to do it the best...

There is no Android equivalant, but there is an app...SL Digislate that is a clapper board with a Timecode display...Marry the two with a TC generator and you have an electronic slate...

Looked on Stephen Ledbeds website about the SL Digislate and dont see any talk of it...I posted on his forum but havent seen a response.

As to the comment about this being a "niche" product...YES indeed it is, but this is a world wide niche and I know plenty of people in my industry that are tired of the being stuck with apple.

And please dont take offense to this, but since it pretty much only exists in the Android world, Rooting/Rom'ing etc is ALSO very much a niche market...And IMO has hijacked the focus of some very talented devs out there.

I think this will always hold Android back...I've been around the computer world for a very long time, and have yet to see any of the "big boys" embrace open source...

Maybe I will move away from Android, but I really dont want too...I like the product...So i'll try to be patient ;)