App Updates

SoSoFresh

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android as of about April. I was just curious why there were so many app updates... It seems like most of my apps have available updates every other day...

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, this is something that depends on the developers of the applications. My guess is that those applications that receive frequent updates are the ones written by independent programmers. Small/medium/large software companies work with a group of programmers and a schedule, and they release new versions when there is enough changes ready, they reviewed it, tested it, got it approved by management, etc. Independent coders however, work on their own. They are free to update the app even if the changes aren't worth even a minor version upgrade. These constant, frequent updates are probably them fixing one or two bugs in the code, just little changes. As a programmer in learning and also a fellow app user, I'd say that updates are definitely a good thing, but yeah, daily updates can be too much. Now, releasing nightly builds is a common practice, but that's entirely different from pushing updates to the users.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
...and you don't have to update just because an update is out there. Read the notes and see if the update contains anything of benefit to you.

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
...and you don't have to update just because an update is out there. Read the notes and see if the update contains anything of benefit to you.

So very true! Sadly, not all apps have a release history description.

SoSoFresh

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So very true! Sadly, not all apps have a release history description.

Exactly.. So I just kinda update them every time it asks in case its actually important.. Thanks for the reply tho, I am used to blackberry updates, that come once every decade it seems.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Exactly.. So I just kinda update them every time it asks in case its actually important.. Thanks for the reply tho, I am used to blackberry updates, that come once every decade it seems.

Trust me, I was the same way when I first converted. You will get used to it! And the fact that you can update it without having to reboot after, amazing :)

Lots of developers post changelogs, or give links to the change log. Many times if you see back to back updates, they noticed something wrong in the release and had to patch it up.