Wavesecure?

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

I know that AC has covered WaveSecure before, but does anyone here actually use it? In particular, do you find it useful, and does it drain your battery life? What do you think about it?

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I got my subscription through the A/C 20% discount code, not sure if that's still valid, but I'd say its worth the full 19.99$ per year.

What it does is remote lock, locate and wipe. Also data backup if you need it, personally I am synced to the Google cloud so it's not that important for me. You'll probably only ever use it if you actually lost or had your phone stolen, the app just sleeps most of the time, so don't worry about excess battery drain.

Commands are received through SMS from Singapore and also a single SMS is sent there when you acivate your app on your phone, so check if any international message rates apply for your subscription. Most importantly, at least for me, it works worldwide, unlike some of the similar but free apps that only work in the US.

I heard issues with the security of the app. They said the app can be uninstalled by the thief if the phone is not locked yet, but that should be addressed by the companion app "WaveSecure Uninstall Protection". Also if you're rooted you can push the app to your system folder to have it uninstall proofed. I don't know how accurate my info is on this, someone with hacking experience, please tell us! I guess anything that is not baked into the ROM is not 100% secure?

In the end, I'm satisfied with it. It gives you some peace of mind. The question is: is that worth 20$ for you?