App for editing / marking up PDF files on a tablet?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if there is a known app for Android that will let me open PDF files on my tablet (Acer Iconia A500) and be able to use a stylus to doodle, markup, highlight, underline, and edit PDF documents in a such a way?

The reason I ask is that for my business, I'm looking to have my android tablet on hand when doing computer repair work for customers. Once the work is done, I would like to have the work order pulled up on the screen in PDF format and have the customer sign / date the WO using the stylus and then have that emailed to the customer afterwards. I'm looking to go paperless in my business with printed work orders and have everything done on the tablet and saved on the server.

Are there any apps on android that could make this possible?

Thanks!!

Bradley

winsettr

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Check out ezPDF Reader; recent updates have added the ability to do everything you have mentioned EXCEPT for editing the existing text of the document.

Sanosuke

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Bradley,

I've been struggling with this a little, but have to agree with winsettr - the best option for what you want right now is probably ezPDF Reader. You can annotate part of a document and save it fairly easily using this program. My only two gripes are that it's not that easy to switch between eraser/pencil and you can't scroll while doing annotations. What I mean by this is that while you are in "annotation" mode you can annotate, but cannot scroll through the pdf. You basically have to submit the annotations you've made then scroll, then select the pen tool again to continue annotating further along in the document.

I like to use my galaxy note 10.1 for taking notes in school, so this is a bit of a pain. An app I've been using is LectureNotes - this app is in development and the developer is very attentive and makes regular updates. He'll even answer your emails if you have a problem with the program. It is a little complicated, but is something along the lines of onenote on a PC. The nice thing about it is you can easily switch between eraser/pencil, scroll while editing, etc. The biggest disadvantage in my mind is that you have to import/export PDF files. So if you wanted to quickly markup an individual pdf it's a bit cumbersome, basically import - annotate - export back to PDF. It's great for my purposes though because I generally have multiple page PDF's I'd like to scroll through while annotating.

For quick editing ezPDF is the way to go, for more robust, advanced PDF editing/note taking LectureNotes is fantastic.

Take care,
James

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
James,

ezPDF definitely does sound like what I need. Basically all I plan on doing is having my tablet access a PDF from my server while I'm at the customers location and at the bottom on the designated line, have them sign and date it then let the document be saved with that annotation. The ticketing help desk software I work with auto creates the PDF after entering in the work performed, access the PDF and have their signature.

I'll give it a try shortly and see how well the app works.

On a side note, do you recommend a good stylus that gives a 'pen like' feel to writing on the tablet?

Bradley

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, do you recommend a good stylus that gives a 'pen like' feel to writing on the tablet?
The fine folks over at the sister site iMore regularly review stylus, and they work just as well on Android tables as they do in the iPad. Me, I HATE the rubber tips on most of them. My current favorite is from TruGlide, it has a fabric tip instead. Check out a bunch of their reviews here: Stylus Reviews | iMore.com.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Lecturenotes is better than all of those. I know, I mark up several pdf docs a day, 50 to 100 pages each.

There is a learning curve, but it is worth it. Compare it to Notability on iPad.

Sent from my Viper 4G LTE on the "coming soon" network

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I use both ezPDF and RepliGo for reading and annotations. Each one has this strengths. It will set you back $5 for both, but well worth it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

karendroid

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For a little more security and peace of mind on your customer's end, you might want to try our qPDF Notes app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.qoppa.activities.noteskey&token=76fl20il

You can, of course, do all the doodling, marking, highlighting, underlining, and editing that the other apps allow, but we also have the option to create password-protected digital signatures so the customers do not have to worry about a faked signature or anything like that. The signature keeps a record of when it was placed so you both get a little added integrity and security in the document.

We also have a tablet-optimized layout with a pane for looking at bookmarks and annotations, and our next release is going to bring a sweet makeover.

(Disclosure: Obviously, I am involved with the development of the app!)

Sanosuke

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Bradley,

If you are looking for a stylus to use on a device that doesn't come with one (ie. a tablet lacking a digitizer) then I would probably suggest the adonit jot pro. It allows you see your pen "tip" and as far as capacitive stylii goes I've heard the best things about it. It's got a bit of an odd design, however it provides a much better look than most stylii with fat rubber tips.

The adonit product used to be only available online as far I as could tell, however I've recently seen it on the shelves at staples and a few other big box stores.

Good luck!

James

F4tB4st4rd

May 10, 2012
Visit site
For a little more security and peace of mind on your customer's end, you might want to try our qPDF Notes app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.qoppa.activities.noteskey&token=F6pYWEyN

You can, of course, do all the doodling, marking, highlighting, underlining, and editing that the other apps allow, but we also have the option to create password-protected digital signatures so the customers do not have to worry about a faked signature or anything like that. The signature keeps a record of when it was placed so you both get a little added integrity and security in the document.

We also have a tablet-optimized layout with a pane for looking at bookmarks and annotations, and our next release is going to bring a sweet makeover.

+1 to qPDF Notes I use equipment service manuals and have tried lots of basic readers on my TF300 and they all loaded and scrolled painfully slowly. Also they wouldn't let me access TOC or bookmarks. Downloaded the trial of qPDF Notes and will most likely buy it after I clear out the garbage; yea I'm looking at YOU Adobe!

It is well worth $4.99 to not have to always carry that heavy dinosaur laptop they make me use!! :cool:

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are looking for a PDF reader, those are everywhere. If you want to be able to draw, highlight, and import images, export pages to other docs or even Evernote... Then lecturenotes is the only real solution.

catsauthor

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I conduct examinations under oath from word or pdf notes on my acer 200, and would like to hand write the answers to the questions on the notes that are on my tablet. Will your application allow me to do this?

techpastor

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I just used Foxit PDF and it worked pretty well. the eraser function is the same as the "pencil" function you just change the color to white when you want to erase. i used it on my phone (HTC One X) and of course because of the small screen i had to scroll around quite a bit. this app also does not allow you to scroll while annotating but changing between the two modes is super easy. it's free and seems to be ad-free as well. give it a shot and see what you think.

~isaac

scmagnolia

May 9, 2013
Visit site
How can you copy and paste sections of a PDF? On windows, there is a camera icon in the edit menu. This allows you to select a portion, take a snapshot and past it elsewhere on another document.

On my tablet, the PDF has edit capabilities such as highlighting, crewing etc. but no snapshot tool. Am I missing something?

juntjoo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Check out ezPDF Reader; recent updates have added the ability to do everything you have mentioned EXCEPT for editing the existing text of the document.

THAT'S precisely what I need to do. Could you recommend anything for that? Thanks