Accessing corporate webmail

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Is there an app that will let me access my corporate webmail (it's a new job)? I've not had any luck so far. I called our tech support and they said it only works for Blackberry, but with all these apps, I'm thinking there may be another way for me.

At work, I go to webmail.COMPANYNAME.com and then simply log in. The address bar says the same thing but /Exchange. To set it up, I had to use that URL and a mail server name that had this format: ABCDEFGHIJK01 - nothing else - no dots or slashes.

I downloaded a Touchdown Exchange Email app but haven't gotten it to work. If it will, let me know what I need to put where as I've never dealt with an Exchange or webmail server before.

I'm out of town on business next week and would like to be able to access my business Email as well as accessing my work contacts so I don't have to put them in to my general Google account.

Thanks!

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there an app that will let me access my corporate webmail (it's a new job)? I've not had any luck so far. I called our tech support and they said it only works for Blackberry, but with all these apps, I'm thinking there may be another way for me.

At work, I go to webmail.COMPANYNAME.com and then simply log in. The address bar says the same thing but /Exchange. To set it up, I had to use that URL and a mail server name that had this format: ABCDEFGHIJK01 - nothing else - no dots or slashes.

I downloaded a Touchdown Exchange Email app but haven't gotten it to work. If it will, let me know what I need to put where as I've never dealt with an Exchange or webmail server before.

I'm out of town on business next week and would like to be able to access my business Email as well as accessing my work contacts so I don't have to put them in to my general Google account.

Thanks!

You need an application that supports webdav. K-9 supports this and my application will support it next week. However, even with webdav support, your company may block it and force you to use a blackberry only (many companies think Android is not secure and since blackberry is on their own firwalled network it is more secure than android or iphone).

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
You need an application that supports webdav. K-9 supports this and my application will support it next week. However, even with webdav support, your company may block it and force you to use a blackberry only (many companies think Android is not secure and since blackberry is on their own firwalled network it is more secure than android or iphone).

Will I get a message that it's blocked? Or will it simply say that it's unable to connect and leave me to wonder why?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You'll have a bit more luck if you search for OWA (Outlook Web Access) instead of webmail. I don't use OWA but from a quick Google search, Touchdown should support it. Whether your particular Exchange environment will allow it is, however, another story.

You might also want to refer to the section starting on page 28 of this guide:
http://www.nitrodesk.com/tddownloads/tdstartup.pdf

Don't forget that Nitrodesk has a Google Group if you need assistance.

Last edited:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You'll have a bit more luck if you search for OWA (Outlook Web Access) instead of webmail. I don't use OWA but from a quick Google search, Touchdown should support it. Whether your particular Exchange environment will allow it is, however, another story.

You might also want to refer to the section starting on page 28 of this guide:
http://www.nitrodesk.com/tddownloads/tdstartup.pdf

Don't forget that Nitrodesk has a Google Group if you need assistance.

Right, but that is more than he needs. He wants basic OWA which goes over the webdav protocol. K-9 (and within a week or so MailDroid) supports this. Even as the MailDroid dev, I have not issues with saying that I don't support this and to try k-9 which is free.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Right, but that is more than he needs. He wants basic OWA which goes over the webdav protocol. K-9 (and within a week or so MailDroid) supports this. Even as the MailDroid dev, I have not issues with saying that I don't support this and to try k-9 which is free.

Which is why i like you and use your app and will support you and recommend your app.

Sorry this wasn't relevant to the post.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I tried K9 and wasn't able to access the account there either. I'm guessing it's just security blocked (I work for a security company, so it would figure).

What throws me is that the document I was given initially, with which to log in, says that the "mail server" is something like COMDETMAIL01 - I'm used to them being like mail.server.com format. If that format rings a bell with anyone, let me know. I may just be SOL, but with all the innovative apps that Android has, I want to take my best shot(s)!

Thanks!

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried K9 and wasn't able to access the account there either. I'm guessing it's just security blocked (I work for a security company, so it would figure).

What throws me is that the document I was given initially, with which to log in, says that the "mail server" is something like COMDETMAIL01 - I'm used to them being like mail.server.com format. If that format rings a bell with anyone, let me know. I may just be SOL, but with all the innovative apps that Android has, I want to take my best shot(s)!

Thanks!

It sounds like they gave you the actual server that hosts Exchange. For example my server at work is something like XXXExchangeMail01. I'd ask them if they support outlook web access (that was brought up earlier in this post). You may also want to find out what Exchange version ... not sure k-9 will work with 2007/2010 as they mention only 2003. I am trying to get mine working for 03/07, and 2010...however, neither application will help you if they don't support OWA. If that is the case, then you may need to ask them if they will support Good (Good on Android) which is enterprise level for Android (ie. remote wipe by the server admin and better secuirty)

aubiker

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Touchdown. In fact, it is the only way I am allowed to access the company email on my Droid because it will allow mandatory PIN verification as well as remote access wipe of the email application data. You may want to look into it. It's not free, but you can get a 30 day free trial to see if it will work for you.