Question How do you go about creating a Home Screen Shortcut to Running Services?

Debi4n

Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
Before I start, I think it important that I mention that, in terms of a Windows PC, I would consider my proficiency to be "intermediate" to "strong intermediate". My understanding of the inner workings of Android however, are very, very basic.

I use an App called Shortcut Maker which allows to create various different Home Screen Shortcuts to various different things, Apps, Services, Websites, and many other things I don't even understand what they are.

I've tried to create a Home Screen Shortcut accessing Settings Activities, looking up "Running services". I found two activities which are: "com.android.settings.RunningServices", and "com.android.settings.Settings$RunningServicesActivity". Both of these created shortcuts bring me to a "All apps" page, when I'm trying to get to "Settings > Developer options > Running services".

I like to view this page because it is akin to Windows' Task Manager and it is clear and easy to see which Apps are actually running, and how the RAM is allocated.

I've tried using other "App Killers" Apps, to access a similar view, but the ones I've tried seem to list out ALL the Apps that are installed on my Pixel 6, rather than listing out only the ones that might be running.

As I said, primarily I would like to create a Home Screen shortcut to Android's "Running Services", but essentially I'm looking for any method or App that can get me a "One Click" access, from the Home Screen to a list of my Running Apps with a view of the RAM.

Any help or insights are appreciated. Cheers!

Debi4n

Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

You can also try Activity launcher in the Play Store.

Android works differently than a PC with RAM it clears out when needed why do you want to interfere with how it works ?
Thank you! Happy to be newly registered 😊

I tried with Activity Launcher as well, and I get the same result.

I primarily want to see what's running to try and mitigate battery consumption. I'm slowly growing aware of background processes that are running, that I had no idea were there, and that drain the battery unnecessarily. And secondly, even though I know this isn't a bullet proof method, I would like to see if there's any tracking Apps that might be running in the background, or Apps that I HAVEN'T authorized, that are running on my Smartphone. Even though this method is far from perfect, I think it's a first step to do so, or it can give me "an idea of", so to speak.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! Happy to be newly registered

I tried with Activity Launcher as well, and I get the same result.

I primarily want to see what's running to try and mitigate battery consumption. I'm slowly growing aware of background processes that are running, that I had no idea were there, and that drain the battery unnecessarily. And secondly, even though I know this isn't a bullet proof method, I would like to see if there's any tracking Apps that might be running in the background, or Apps that I HAVEN'T authorized, that are running on my Smartphone. Even though this method is far from perfect, I think it's a first step to do so, or it can give me "an idea of", so to speak.
Glad to have you!

So I think you mentioned the Pixel 6 in your first post?
Your Pixel handles these processes very well and battery power usage, it will put apps not used to deep sleep.

Tips to also reduce battery
Soc Media apps , games , downloading from unknown sources also get rid of any unnecessary apps like malware,app cleaners, antivirus apps.
Can also use battery save mode to reduce process, notifications

The system app process your seeing is normal function and there are 100s of them.

In settings>apps>special access>can limit what apps and applications do

Settings>security> can also limit what gets tracked

Personally enjoy your device as it will do a lot of things you ask for in this thread.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Debi4n

Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
Try this and let me know how you get on: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...US&pcampaignid=APPU_1_lBf0ZdWaLaKAhbIP1cqr0AQ

Press and hold 'Running services' to create a shortcut. There's a short 'jump' to a second screen before it's accessed but I can't find anything else outside of a two-step solution to your question.
This does the job! Thank you!

Like you said, the App seems to access Developer options and in a "manual fashion" scrolls down and selects Running services, which in effect, is automatic for the user. I consider this to be a "One step" solution. A clunky "One step" solution, but a "One step" solution nonetheless. I use AutoHotkey on my PC. Pressed with time, this way of solving a problem is not unfamiliar to me 😄.

Right now I'm looking for the same thing, but for Battery usage.

These are simple things that "should" be easy to implement and access, but when they aren't available, they're just so much of a pain in the backside to create (I'm lumping in the Windows Shortcuts I create on my PC and the Android Shortcuts I create on my Phone in the same bucket). I find it so frustrating to have to spend so much time and effort for such small gains (gains in Time Saving and in Mental Energy). On Android, if these simple Activities would already be available, it would take SECONDS to create. And although I'm not familiar with the Android way of coding, I'm also assuming that creating these Activities on the Backend would take minutes for the developers.

In any case, putting my mini-rant aside, once again, Thank you 🙏

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter