Rebuilding Facebook for Android

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Under the Hood: Rebuilding Facebook for Android

Today, we're releasing a new version of Facebook for Android that's been rebuilt in native code to improve speed and performance. To support the unique complexity of Facebook stories across devices, we're moving from a hybrid native/webview to pure native code, allowing us to optimize the Facebook experience for faster loading, new user interfaces, disk cache, and so on.

We rebuilt several of Facebook for Android's core features in native code, including news feed and Timeline, to create a faster experience whether you're opening the app, looking at photos, or interacting with friends. Now, you can comment and like a story more quickly, and photo loading is optimized to be much faster. We also built a new, automatically updated story banner to bubble up the newest stories, no matter where you are in news feed.

We found that we had to develop new solutions and abstractions in order to address several performance challenges along the way.

Facebook for Android 2.0: Completely Rebuilt for Speed

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
When was this? Is this why Facebook is acting up on my phone. Notifications not common through and it's quite slow loading.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
looks like today it is updating so there will be kinks with the rollout, just like any rollout. I would say clear the cache and data if you have issues next week.

Also, upgrading now is going to help. I just updated right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87