Skyfire Wants To Know What You Think

Skyfire

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Skyfire fans!

As a leading Android App we are interested in hearing what you have to say about Skyfire and we want to know your thoughts and suggestions. We appreciate the feedback,

Thank you :)

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Skyfire fans!

As a leading Android App we are interested in hearing what you have to say about Skyfire and we want to know your thoughts and suggestions. We appreciate the feedback,

Thank you :)

I have a question actually... I was looking at my network stats using Spare Parts and noticed that even though Skyfire had used approx. 35mb of data on the download, it had uploaded over 22mb of data.

Can someone please explain why so much data would have been UPLOADED through the Skyfire browser?

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a question actually... I was looking at my network stats using Spare Parts and noticed that even though Skyfire had used approx. 35mb of data on the download, it had uploaded over 22mb of data.

Can someone please explain why so much data would have been UPLOADED through the Skyfire browser?

thats a great question. i mean it could be beta info to see how stable it is running on your device. would love to see a response though

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Been trying it out for a little bit and its now my default browser. Its very fast and i have not run into.any issues so far.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Tried it for a couple of days but have gone back to Dinc browser. Native browser is faster and just seems easier to use. Will give it a try again when it is out of beta.

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
thats a great question. i mean it could be beta info to see how stable it is running on your device. would love to see a response though

Still waiting for that response... honestly, the only thing I can think of that would require that much upload data is:

1) uploading files to a server
2) uploading streaming video (i.e Qik)

Neither of these are features of Skyfire, but if either of these actions are being performed without the users consent, then we have a problem on our hands. My concern would be data being uploaded... but I guess we'll have to wait for an official answer.

ewilson620

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Skyfire worked way better on my HTC touch pro windows 6.1 over evdo it worked so great I was on I40 watching NCAA final four March madness. Skyfire sucks on android takes way longer to load videos even on 4g also half or more than the videos do not work at all. So I maybe use it twice. Use dolphin HD browsers set it to desktop mode get the flash 10.1 plugin for evo you set to go. Skyfire you went backwards on this one. If you can get this to work like in windows mobile you will get me back until then not using or recommend to no one

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I really like it, but the font size you get when typing in a password box is too big. I can never tell what I'm typing.

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the folks at skyfire had any plans to respond to my question: Why is your app sending large amounts of data out?

For now, I'm going to assume it's malicious because I can't think of another reason why a browser would behave like that.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to know why when many of the pages finish loading, it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page.

Skyfire

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Hi wmtoandroid,

We ran some tests ourselves and we didn't find this sort of excessive data upload. We tested with Traffic Counter and found a ratio of about 6:1 for ordinary browsing and about 16:1 for video viewing.

Is it possible that some other app on the phone was uploading in the background while using Skyfire?

If not, then could you tell us more about the situation, including the phone you are using and the version of Android?

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi wmtoandroid,

We ran some tests ourselves and we didn't find this sort of excessive data upload. We tested with Traffic Counter and found a ratio of about 6:1 for ordinary browsing and about 16:1 for video viewing.

Is it possible that some other app on the phone was uploading in the background while using Skyfire?

If not, then could you tell us more about the situation, including the phone you are using and the version of Android?

Thank you for the reply. I've updated to the latest Skyfire version and ran the tests again.

When using text-based pages, the upload data remained relatively low, however, when I played video's (from Howcast on this test), the upload ratio dramatically changed and is now 4:1 (download vs upload and get's larger if i continue to run videos).

The only application that could upload that much data off my phone would be sugarsync, but I would have to explicitly open the software and confirm that a sync be made. I haven't run it for days.

I'm using Spare Parts to read the upload/download data and even using something like Net Counter will confirm the high upload rate as well (although it won't give the app using this data).

I have an HTC Legend with stock OS 2.1. Let me know if there are other things I can do to test this further.