Why doesn't anybody develop a BerryWeather type app?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
In my humble opinion, BerryWeather is the best weather app ever created for a phone. The thing that really makes it stand out is the ability to add custom radar links to track and display all sorts of good geeky weather data. The app sells for $10 and is VERY popular. It would seem like that would be enough incentive for a developer to jump on this. Have I missed any weather apps for Android that function this way?

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
In my humble opinion, BerryWeather is the best weather app ever created for a phone. The thing that really makes it stand out is the ability to add custom radar links to track and display all sorts of good geeky weather data. The app sells for $10 and is VERY popular. It would seem like that would be enough incentive for a developer to jump on this. Have I missed any weather apps for Android that function this way?

Ask the Dev to port it.;)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am not familiar with Berryweather.

I use Weatherbug Elite. Gives me everything I need (and a lot I don't). Multiple locations, Doppler radar (complete with animation), lightning strikes, weather alerts (which show in my notifications bar, which is awesome!), forecasts, wind directions/speed, layers for Radar, Satellite, Temp, Wind Speed, Humidity, Pressure, even Traffic (although I would use Google Maps for this). Even has webcams for my area.

Latest version added video for Rachel's Forecast, Pollen counts (yay, allergies!), and live observations.

I am VERY happy with it.

EDIT: just watched a Youtube video to familiarize myself with Berryweather. Not sure I'm seeing anything in it that Weatherbug doesn't have...at least in the video I watched.

Last edited:

Go Blue

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
One very neat feature of Berryweather is the ability to select / choose specific weather stations in a given area. In my case I can choose my own weather station so that data is shown for my house or my boat club, not just the city or zip code that is near that area. Weatherbug does not have that capability. It does provide "local" weather information, but generally from an "official" source such as an airport, or an approved Weatherbug affiliate. Some may consider this as more accurate or reliable information. It may be miles away from your specific point of interest however.

Last edited:

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Berryweather also has the ability to use the GPS so you can get local weather wherever you are simply by opening it, also quick doppler radar for your GPS location.
I too wish there was an app like this for droid BUT one that didn't lose it's mind from time to time and start giving you GPS location forecasts for weird places. According to Berryweather I have done a lot more travelling than I can remember doing... lol
Of course when it does that it requires a battery pull to fix.

If the developers were to port Berryweather to droid it would also be nice if our BB purchases of it could be transferred over without having to pay for it again since many of us have paid not only for the app but for the upgrades.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The big thing that I liked was the custom radar links. Their were tons to chose from that launched inside the app (so you don't have to also open your browser). Their were many links such as IR, Satellite for cloud coverage, all sorts of storm movement detail, and radar shots off of the various coastal areas for hurricane watches. Take a look at this:

www.bellshare.com • View topic - GPS Tracker Custom Radar/Cams links & How to add them

To most, knowing what the temp and chance of rain will be is enough. I have a teenage son that travels 3 weekends a month playing junior tennis tournaments and being able to see/track storm movements in detail can really help you plan your tennis day when the weather is active.

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I miss Berryweather !! Closest I have seen is weatherbug elite, but like you said, you can't select the weather station.

msglsom

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I just came from Blackberry and used BerryWeather, too. I've looked at this Palmary Weather app and think it might be the closest thing I've seen yet. Anyone using Palmary?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm using it now and like it. If they would add zoomable maps (radar and satellite), it would be perfect. They do have the maps and the animation of them is great, I just want to be able to zoom in to a smaller area.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I also went with Palmary from Weather Bug. Zooming woud be nice, but I like the alert functionality offered by the 2.
Just picked up DX for my wife, I have Storm2. I too was looking for BerryWeather style app and also chose Palmary. Palmary seems to have a lot of functionality and is also visually appealing. For $2.99 price seemed reasonable.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I too was a berryweather user, I use Beatiful widgets, its not as good but you get the added bouns of a nice clock (small and large) with a bunch of skins to chose from, weather only widegt if you choose not to use the clock and weather widget adn skined widegts to toggle gps, wifi, etc.

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just came from Blackberry and used BerryWeather, too. I've looked at this Palmary Weather app and think it might be the closest thing I've seen yet. Anyone using Palmary?

I"m using it and you're right, it's the closest to BerryWeather that I've found. I just don't like the radar images, haven't found anyway to zoom in on them.

I also use WeatherBug Elite, so I can use the best of both apps. WBug has better radar maps and even a radar widget.

A port of WeatherBerry into an Android app would be another app that I would buy, really liked WB on my S2.

ZipKicker

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I use beautiful Widgets, you can set up a 3rd party app to open when youclick on the weather, I have that linked to open an app called radar now. Its not the best app, as it only goes based off your GPS location. It does animate and zooms. beautiful Widgets gives you a skinned flip clock and skinned weather widget all in one

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I use beautiful Widgets, you can set up a 3rd party app to open when youclick on the weather, I have that linked to open an app called radar now. Its not the best app, as it only goes based off your GPS location. It does animate and zooms. beautiful Widgets gives you a skinned flip clock and skinned weather widget all in one

Yep! I have both but always forget to look at the radar. Will have to link it like you said.