What Qualifies As 3rd Party

tjyjr

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I wanted to buy the Samsung captivate and I want to download apps from places other than the marketplace. I wanted to know if a 3rd party app is an app downloaded from a location other than the marketplace or if it is an app not approved by or not on the marketplace. If it is the first than is there any way to install a 3rd party app on it.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i qualify a third party app as any app not made by google, marketplace or not. with the captivate, unfortunately, there is no way to install non-market apps directly on the phone (thanks at&t), but thanks to the awesome writers of android central, you can sideload apps with this

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
no, and no. at&t takes away the ability to install non-market apps on all of their android phones (because they feel like it), so even if you download an apk on your phone, the android OS on the captivate will not allow it to be installed. i havent had to use the wonder machine (i am on vzw), but it is just a program that does very easily what could take you a long time to do yourself (installing apps on your computer through the sdk).

tjyjr

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
sorry but whenever I see a Command Prompt Window I get all nervous, I have no Idea why but it makes me uncomfortable, it shouldnt tho

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
no, it shouldnt. anything using the android sdk boots through cmd prompt on windows. no worries; i dont think the editors of this site would post anything malicious.