How to tell if it is a clone or not

Saintor

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
I see a lot of offers on Marketplace of affordable S23+ or even Ultra. Here, a S23 Ultra will command almost CA$2000 with the taxes. No thanks.

But some of them are around CA$800, no tax.

Here is an example (as a 512Gb version , would be CA$2175 with taxes).

Any possibility that it could be a clone? What to watch for?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can compare a photo of the phone or its box directly with the real thing, and find some discrepancies, that would be a red flag (although the box might differ a little depending on the region it was sold in). Otherwise, you'd need the phone in hand so you could run various hardware test apps that report what the device actually has inside. And some of these apps can still be fooled. The YouTuber SMOOREZ, who likes to order cheapo knockoffs from Wish and Aliexpress, and then demonstrate how much they lie about their specs, has to use at least 3 hardware info apps to show the true specs.

A good rule of thumb, though, is that if it looks too good to be true, then it's probably not true (i.e., it's a knockoff, or it's a genuine phone but faulty, like maybe it took a bath at one point).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The 2 steps I mentioned for Samsung applies for all Samsung devices and best way to tell if it's original the other ways I'm not too confident in

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can tell also here where the device originated /if has Esim /someone put another firmware stock wise
bb3cedd7ff1bcc4a068873d578a06300.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm personally seeing enough red flags to pass on that one just based on the packaging. If I can't see the device being offered in the listing photos, I move on. That means if it's "sealed, new in box," I'm immediately skeptical. You can buy 100 official looking S23 tamper seals on Alli Express for just a few bucks. At the very least, require being able to open the box and examine the actual phone prior to completing the transaction. If the seller hesitates, hard pass. Breaking the seal when it's already being sold at a steep discount isn't going to change the value and refusal screams scam.

The box itself looks fishy to me as well. Someone with more knowledge than me would be better to confirm, but that particular style of box shouldn't have a seam/line running down the sides of it when compared to other boxes I could find images of. Having the seam bisecting the text in an uneven way also indicates a fake. It's odd to see text divided like that in packaging, but should at least be even if it does. On one side, it cuts just above the middle of the text, but the other side runs along the bottom of the text. That's a pretty glaring mistake for the manufacturer to make, but counterfeiters often make such mistakes. I could be wrong here, but still something questionable to me. If that is how the legit boxes are designed, then shame on Samsung I guess.

There's other signs as well, so I suggest you Google how to spot a fake S23 Ultra. Here's a link to get you started, but I found other posts commenting about the box too.

I'd be tempted to flag the listing as a scam/fake.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm personally seeing enough red flags to pass on that one just based on the packaging. If I can't see the device being offered in the listing photos, I move on. That means if it's "sealed, new in box," I'm immediately skeptical. You can buy 100 official looking S23 tamper seals on Alli Express for just a few bucks. At the very least, require being able to open the box and examine the actual phone prior to completing the transaction. If the seller hesitates, hard pass. Breaking the seal when it's already being sold at a steep discount isn't going to change the value and refusal screams scam.

The box itself looks fishy to me as well. Someone with more knowledge than me would be better to confirm, but that particular style of box shouldn't have a seam/line running down the sides of it when compared to other boxes I could find images of. Having the seam bisecting the text in an uneven way also indicates a fake. It's odd to see text divided like that in packaging, but should at least be even if it does. On one side, it cuts just above the middle of the text, but the other side runs along the bottom of the text. That's a pretty glaring mistake for the manufacturer to make, but counterfeiters often make such mistakes. I could be wrong here, but still something questionable to me. If that is how the legit boxes are designed, then shame on Samsung I guess.

There's other signs as well, so I suggest you Google how to spot a fake S23 Ultra. Here's a link to get you started, but I found other posts commenting about the box too.

I'd be tempted to flag the listing as a scam/fake.
Good point on the box I didn't realize OP left a link to the Facebook of the seller, the security tape I never seen north and south but round east and west

Here's a unboxing :