Closest weather app to stock HTC Sense app?

rallykid

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I am deciding between trading my Hero for a Moment or keeping it but the one thing that is holding me back is Sense. Most of the other widgets I can live without but is there a weather app that is close to the stock HTC app that I can use on the moment? I am looking at Beautiful Widgets but not sure if it is animated like the HTC app is. Any input or suggestions on this?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Beautiful Weather is indeed animated now. I'm not sure if it's from a recent update but it looks perfect. Well worth the money.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
No knock to you guys but I though BW was highly overrated. But maybe its because I thought it was gonna be head and head shoulders above WWD. Biggest upgrade is when you click on the weather and it animates. Definitely not worth the money IMO when WWD does the same thing for free and offers clock and weather skins. Both have pros and cons, one is free. When that's the case, I'll take free =)

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
While Beautiful Widgets is animated, the animations aren't very smooth (at least on my Droid). It definitely looks like the Sense widget but it doesn't perform as well.

R

Roy Aguilera

No knock to you guys but I though BW was highly overrated. But maybe its because I thought it was gonna be head and head shoulders above WWD. Biggest upgrade is when you click on the weather and it animates. Definitely not worth the money IMO when WWD does the same thing for free and offers clock and weather skins. Both have pros and cons, one is free. When that's the case, I'll take free =)

WWD is not free?. Well I guess it is if you get it through a certain site.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
While Beautiful Widgets is animated, the animations aren't very smooth (at least on my Droid). It definitely looks like the Sense widget but it doesn't perform as well.

Mine is perfectly smooth... perfect. Have you updated it recently? They did just release a update that fixed many of the issues with the Droid.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, mine are smooth too. and so much cooler looking than WWD it's not even a contest.

WWD does pop up the animation sooner, but we're talking like maybe 2 seconds faster.

the bottom line is, if you want to emulate the HTC widget, Beautiful widgets is the closest you're going to get for now.

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I uninstalled and reinstalled like you mentioned and I also checked to make sure that I had a sufficient amount of memory, but the animations were still kind of choppy. They were slightly better than before but WWD was a lot smoother IMO. Weird.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think it's partly due to the amount and quality of animation in BW compared to WWD. the later basically animates the static icon into view, where BW actually has animations akin to the sense widget's animations.

i do hope the dev can smooth it out a little more in an update though

R

Roy Aguilera

BW is alpha dog. The developer does quality work. Just wish he could get the clock to flip. I know its possible cause Home++ has a flip clock widget.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
BW is alpha dog. The developer does quality work. Just wish he could get the clock to flip. I know its possible cause Home++ has a flip clock widget.

Possible I'm sure but it seems as if many people with the HTC Sense actually prefer it off since it seems to be such a memory hog, at least on Win Mo devices. I'm not sure how Android devices handle it since I don't own a HTC Android device currently.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something? I see that BW animates the weather when it opens into the app, but does it animate the weather on the home screen like the HTC devices do? If so, how do I activate that feature?

*** Edit ***
NVM ... I found it. I am really stoked about BW now. :)

Last edited:

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something? I see that BW animates the weather when it opens into the app, but does it animate the weather on the home screen like the HTC devices do? If so, how do I activate that feature?

*** Edit ***
NVM ... I found it. I am really stoked about BW now. :)

Can you tell us how you did it? It would be most helpful.

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled and reinstalled like you mentioned and I also checked to make sure that I had a sufficient amount of memory, but the animations were still kind of choppy. They were slightly better than before but WWD was a lot smoother IMO. Weird.

Using Beautiful Weather here too on my Quench (Cliq XT) which is a bit lower specs than your Droid, no animation lag. Check what other apps are consuming the CPU.

Bruinfanjb

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I know that the stock weather app uses accuweather, but it seems like they are always way off. Most of the time when I look at the weather on my home screen or open it up and manually update the weather it is wrong. Some times it shows the wrong location (as much as 1 hour away from where I am), sometimes it shows a moon at 10:00am, and most of the time the temperature is off by as much as 20-25 degrees. Is there any way to fix this?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I still am puzzled why weather apps and widgets seem to be so important to so many people. I don't need a widget on my desktop telling me the temperature every time I glance at it. I use the Weather Channel app when I want to check the weather...which is generally no more than 2 times per day.

Same things for clocks. Is it really that important to have another clock on your desktop when there is one in the corner? If you can't see that one, get some bifocals.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non