app security question

jsalk

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up an EVO 4G yesterday and was going to install some apps like Google Goggles. I'm using Android 2.2 and before I install, it cautions me that some of these apps have access to just about everyting on my phone. This is quite disconcerting.

Is this an issue I should be cautious about?

Thanks,

- Jim

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No.

Google Goggles requires this:

• Location (so it can find the best prices around you)
  • Network communication (so it can look up the item)
  • Your accounts (access other google services)
  • Storage (obviously)
  • Hardware Controls (Take pictures)
  • System Tools (prevent phone from sleeping)

I hardly ever worry about this stuff, but do tend to read through what the apps require before installing them. Like if something wants access to something I don't think it needs, it throws a red flag up, but that's kindof rare for me.

in the case of "official" google apps, I trust them. Well, probably more than I should trust a multi-billion dollar global mega-corporation that compiles all the world's information...but hey...it's Google!

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
You only really have to worry about it if an app is asking for permissions for something an app of that type shouldn't have. For example, streaming radio? Perfectly fine to have access to your internet connection. Bank ledger? Probably not so much, you might want to check with the dev about that permission.