Email - does it have to be this hard?

fishfinder

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
E-mail was the #1 reason I bought my droid last week (incredible on verizon). I'm having difficulties though, so far I've used 4 e-mail apps and none of them does what I need. I just want an app on this phone that will sync with my IMAP g-mail folders/labels and allow me to view emails by conversations (conversations seriously simplify the work email chains I have). Basically the app just needs to do what the g-mail web based application does. I can't believe this is so hard to do, this is googles phone and you would think it would work with gmail really easily. Anyways, below are my thoughts on each e-mail app I welcome any input here, let me know if I'm missing something:

GMail app -- thought this was my solution and it WAS working great, now the thing isn't retrieving some e-mails and is crashing constantly. Tried clearing data/cache no worky.

Stock HTC Mail program -- like this interface the best. But it is not seeing all my g-mail labels (easy ones like SPAM I just can't access with this program). And for some reason this program can't share the trash/sent/draft folders with g-mail, so it creates it's own leading to too many folders and confusion.

K-9 -- definitely on the right track but no conversation view kills it for me. Some e-mails are displayed as new even though I've read them/they show up as read in gmail and other apps.

Maildroid -- seems pretty good but seriously, I have to look at ads on the bottom of the screen? No conversation view. Folder view is confusing. Had trouble viewing some emails archived to folders which appeared then disappeared ... hmm.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The stock gmail app does conversations just like the desktop version. It's perfectly stable for me, so I'd look at what other apps you've installed that may conflict. I can see that if you're trying access the same accounts with multiple email apps you might have some issues. Can you try deleting the account and recreating it?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
E-mail was the #1 reason I bought my droid last week (incredible on verizon). I'm having difficulties though, so far I've used 4 e-mail apps and none of them does what I need. I just want an app on this phone that will sync with my IMAP g-mail folders/labels and allow me to view emails by conversations (conversations seriously simplify the work email chains I have). Basically the app just needs to do what the g-mail web based application does. I can't believe this is so hard to do, this is googles phone and you would think it would work with gmail really easily. Anyways, below are my thoughts on each e-mail app I welcome any input here, let me know if I'm missing something:

GMail app -- thought this was my solution and it WAS working great, now the thing isn't retrieving some e-mails and is crashing constantly. Tried clearing data/cache no worky.

Stock HTC Mail program -- like this interface the best. But it is not seeing all my g-mail labels (easy ones like SPAM I just can't access with this program). And for some reason this program can't share the trash/sent/draft folders with g-mail, so it creates it's own leading to too many folders and confusion.

K-9 -- definitely on the right track but no conversation view kills it for me. Some e-mails are displayed as new even though I've read them/they show up as read in gmail and other apps.

Maildroid -- seems pretty good but seriously, I have to look at ads on the bottom of the screen? No conversation view. Folder view is confusing. Had trouble viewing some emails archived to folders which appeared then disappeared ... hmm.

Sorry you had issues. The ads are there to cover my costs, I will be offering a paid version in the future. You are correct there is no conversation view, this is something unique with gmail. I do agree the folder view is confusing and I plan on changing that in the future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer