Installing and re-installing android applications

Akis Tzortzis

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
When we download an application from Google Play Store, it downloads and then magically installs on the Android device.

But supposing we do a Factory Reset, or that we upload a new firmware or simply suppose we have another Android device at home and we would like the same application to be installed there too.

Is it possible to somehow maintain the installation files and be able to copy these files off the Android device and then use them on another device so as to avoid large downloads, considering some applications are quite large.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about copying the install files but if you download the apps from the Google Play Store, it keeps a record of this. If you log in to your new device and head to the Play Store you will see a list of all the apps that have been installed and can quickly install those apps to the new device. There are some that will automatically start adding itself to your new device.

sajipv

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I use an app "App Backup and Restore". This saves all the installed apks on the SD card. After Factory Reset, just install "App Backup and Restore" at first. Then reinstall all apps from the saved apk's.

Akis Tzortzis

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I use an app "App Backup and Restore". This saves all the installed apks on the SD card. After Factory Reset, just install "App Backup and Restore" at first. Then reinstall all apps from the saved apk's.

Many thanks. I am surprised Android does not have installation files / packages like Windows and Linux, or that when you visit the App Store and download an application, it does not give you the option to save the installation files on SD ....

Actually this does not sound right. How would one application know how and where another application stores its data files and settings etc? Imagine you have a game that uses 1GB of data in some obscure directory - how would the backup/restore application know about this directory?

In my opinion what needs to be saved / backed up is the original installation files that you got from Google Play so that you can re-install the application as you like.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11