Very confused with Google Play Music...

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So here's the thing. I don't have unlimited data, and thus, I can't just stream my music all the time, or I'll burn through my data allotment pretty quickly. I've always been fond of Play Music's save to device feature. There are some things I'm a bit confused by, though, and I'm hoping someone can clear them up for me.

For one, within the Play Music app, can you delete "saved to device" songs off of your device without deleting them from your Play Music library completely? Is there any specific way to do that?

Secondly, I'm interested in signing up for All Access, but similarly, I wonder how the offline functionality works for that, like with the radio stations, for example. It appears you can save the "custom radio stations" to your phone for offline play, but how many songs does it actually download? Aren't those stations supposed to just kind of go infinitely, until you stop listening to them? Does it only download a set number of songs (or length of music), or something? And how easy is it to delete these saved radio stations (and the songs from them) from your phone?

Next, I have some issues that are a bit puzzling to me. First and foremost, on my phone, I have the setting checked off to only stream music when I'm on wi-fi. Next, I have a playlist that I have set to download on the device. So I downloaded all those songs to my phone (the SD card). Then, I decided to sign up for the free trial of All Access. I played around with some custom radio stations on the website interface, but I ultimately deleted all the custom ones I made.

So, normally when I listen to music, I just shuffle the songs I have downloaded on my device. I went out for a bit today, and shuffled my music, and one very odd thing that stood out to me is that some of the songs that came into my shuffle were songs I don't have in my library at all, period, let alone ones I downloaded to my device. Yet, it doesn't appear Play Music streamed them over my cell connection (and like I said, I have the box checked for the setting to only stream over wi-fi). So why did it apparently download songs to my device that weren't in my "on device" playlist, or in my library at all? I assume it has to do with me having All Access now, but I find it puzzling that it randomly downloaded songs to my device that I didn't even have before, nor did I even look at in the Play Store.

Another problem I ran into is that during playback, all of my songs frequently had audio issues throughout. There was clipping, odd distortion noises, and sometimes the song would even "freeze" for a few seconds and come back choppy before returning to normal. Any reason why this is happening, and how to fix it? Pretty annoying.

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions. Just never really played around with this stuff before, so I really don't know how it works at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For one, within the Play Music app, can you delete "saved to device" songs off of your device without deleting them from your Play Music library completely? Is there any specific way to do that?

To save an album to your device, you tap the menu icon associated with that album and then tap "Keep on device." The pushpin icon will go from angled to vertical, and the circle will fill in green when it is fully saved. To remove it, simply tap that pushpin icon again, and you'll get a notice that in order to listen to it again, you'll have to stream it, since it will be removed from the device.

Another problem I ran into is that during playback, all of my songs frequently had audio issues throughout. There was clipping, odd distortion noises, and sometimes the song would even "freeze" for a few seconds and come back choppy before returning to normal. Any reason why this is happening, and how to fix it? Pretty annoying.

How good is your network connection? It sounds like it may not be ideal, judging by the symptoms.

Sorry, I can't answer your All Access questions ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you were still connected to the network, it's possible it was still trying to stream it. Try tapping the dropdown menu at the top, and select "On device" instead of "All Music," and see if that performs better.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The best answer is you need to get some unlimited data! You could clear the cache in the play app, then download your playlists again, that would remove any unwanted music! That all access is going to be a killer on a limited data plan, you should just get rid of that!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If you were still connected to the network, it's possible it was still trying to stream it. Try tapping the dropdown menu at the top, and select "On device" instead of "All Music," and see if that performs better.

That's how I had it set, to "On Device". I'm always super careful with it so as not to end up using my limited data.

The best answer is you need to get some unlimited data! You could clear the cache in the play app, then download your playlists again, that would remove any unwanted music! That all access is going to be a killer on a limited data plan, you should just get rid of that!

Heh, if I could, I would, but I'm on Verizon, and from what I've seen, they've got the best coverage for me. Does anyone still even offer unlimited data, anymore, for LTE, at that? I thought unlimited has pretty much gone to the wayside. I mean, I think T-Mobile (or is it Sprint?) has some kind of setup where you get x amount of GB on LTE, and then after that, you get unlimited 3G, or something, but that doesn't seem particularly worthwhile (not to mention, I've heard bad things about both T-Mobile and Sprint, in my area).

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
SPRINT gives me unlimited data, doesn't matter if it's lte 4g 3g or whatever! Its all unlimited!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌