Lookout or Wave Secure: which one? Or neither?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm eyeing both of these apps and trying to decide if one is better than the other, or if neither is worth it. They both seem to have won awards or accolades.

Wave Secure is offering a special this weekend--one year for $14.95, which is 25% off their typical annual fee.

Any comments?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm eyeing both of these apps and trying to decide if one is better than the other, or if neither is worth it. They both seem to have won awards or accolades.

Wave Secure is offering a special this weekend--one year for $14.95, which is 25% off their typical annual fee.

Any comments?

Lookout was featured on AC. I use it and it works as advertised. Never tried the other one.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
If your looking for an app to do remote wipe/lock, or locate device, check out Watchdroid. It 1.90 one time and no ridiculous monthly fees. App works great.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I imagine one would like the ability to locate a lost phone, or locate the phone say, when one lets a child use it. The ability to remotely lock it or wipe it is nice if it's ever stolen.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I currently use WaveSecure and it's not too shabby at all. I've heard good things about both though, and Lookout has had more coverage here on AC.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I imagine one would like the ability to locate a lost phone, or locate the phone say, when one lets a child use it. The ability to remotely lock it or wipe it is nice if it's ever stolen.

Agreed. And with the premium subscription it will monitor what apps send data. I haven't tried it but for those security conscious among us it's good piece of mind.

The auto backup feature is nice, too.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Number of people have favorable opinions on Wavesecure. I am not one of them. I had tried a trial of their program. The trial had expired and I did not purchase their software.

A short time after the trial expired, their server sent a 'stolen message' to my phone. Unfortunately, it went off in my office. The alarm is a shrieking woman. Boy did that draw attention. As the trial was over, I could not go into the website and turn off the "stolen" status of the phone. It forced me to pull the battery for the remainder of the day until I could get home and resolve the issue.

YMMV.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Number of people have favorable opinions on Wavesecure. I am not one of them. I had tried a trial of their program. The trial had expired and I did not purchase their software.

A short time after the trial expired, their server sent a 'stolen message' to my phone. Unfortunately, it went off in my office. The alarm is a shrieking woman. Boy did that draw attention. As the trial was over, I could not go into the website and turn off the "stolen" status of the phone. It forced me to pull the battery for the remainder of the day until I could get home and resolve the issue.

YMMV.

I have actually heard of this happening to a couple different people now with Wavesecure, which has made me sorta reluctant to continue using it. I can just imagine how well that would go over with my commanding officer if this happened in the middle of a formation or something...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would only use one of these to locate my phone not for any virus protection as I feel that is unnecessary,

Since I don't think you can't disable the virus protection part , I.have passed by these types of apps.

Sent Using TaPaTaLk

mikemsd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would only use one of these to locate my phone not for any virus protection as I feel that is unnecessary,

Since I don't think you can't disable the virus protection part , I.have passed by these types of apps.

Sent Using TaPaTaLk

Actually, you can disable the virus scanning in Lookout by just going to security settings and unchecking it. I'm not sure why you would disable it though. It's minimally intrusive and could potentially save you from something malicious getting on your phone. Just because nothing malicious has gotten on your phone yet, doesn't mean that it can't.

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Sent Using TaPaTaLk

I'm the same way which is why I went with watchdroid. Plus its alot cheaper. I also don't see the need for virus protection at this point.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
That is what I initially thought. They admitted their server falsely sent a "stolen" signal to my phone. More disturbing was when I posted this to another forum 8 months ago (happened in March) I got flamed by trolls. While I couldn't prove it, I was suspicious they may have relations to the company.

After I had issues with their software I went to their facebook page. There were a number of people with issues at that time. I haven't checked lately, but it would be worth a check before purchasing. Maybe things have gotten better.

Benji, your comment cuts right to the root of the issue - it is unethical if it is intentional.

Sorta makes you subscribe - that is unethical.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo