Getting an M(, just a few Android Questions

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's my list of most used Apps on my BlackBerry, I just won an HTC M9, I'll be using as my secondary device and want to see if I can get all my non android apps on it.

Ads really, really bother me, I dont mind purchasing a few apps, but please if it's loaded full of ads, don't suggest it.

KalemSoft Media Player
This is a media player on BB10 that allowed me to watch subtitled MKV anime and movies. I'd like to be able to toggle languages and subtitles on and off with whatever I can find for android.

Weather
What is the best weather app? does android have AccuWeather?

Unified Inbox
I LOVE BlackBerry's Hub, I would love that on android or something similar.

BatteryGuru
This is an app I paid for that tell me in a line graph how much battery I have, how hot the device is, how long I have left battery wise and how long I have left to charge it.

Other Apps

Stock Android Launcher
After I try out the Sense one, Im going to want to go to stock android, whats the best launcher to get there as someone in another thread told me you cant root the M( to change the OS yet.

Another things I'd like to ask. Has android fixed the thing where you can't listen to youtube in the background with the browser? BB10 does this, My Asus Tablet didnt, you minimize the browser and your youtube video would stop playing.

Does the HTC M9 have a notification LED?

Android Wise. Is it possible to have an app that allows you to swipe up from the bottom of the device to wake it. It's like a natural motor function in me after using BB10 since launch.

What is a good IR app to control my TV? (I read somewhere the phone has an IR blaster in it)

Stupid Question. Can I install Amazon App store on a google play certified device?

Is there an app that puts all your open apps on a home screen like WebOS and BB10 does?

Other than Calls and Texts, can the phone be used on WIFI without affecting anything?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here's my list of most used Apps on my BlackBerry, I just won an HTC M9, I'll be using as my secondary device and want to see if I can get all my non android apps on it.

Ads really, really bother me, I dont mind purchasing a few apps, but please if it's loaded full of ads, don't suggest it.

KalemSoft Media Player
This is a media player on BB10 that allowed me to watch subtitled MKV anime and movies. I'd like to be able to toggle languages and subtitles on and off with whatever I can find for android.

Weather

Unified Inbox

BatteryGuru
This is an app I paid for that tell me in a line graph how much battery I have, how hot the device is, how long I have left battery wise and how long I have left to charge it.

Other Apps

Stock Android Launcher
After I try out the Sense one, Im going to want to go to stock android, whats the best launcher to get there as someone in another thread told me you cant root the M( to change the OS yet.

Another things I'd like to ask. Has android fixed the thing where you can't listen to youtube in the background with the browser? BB10 does this, My Asus Tablet didnt, you minimize the browser and your youtube video would stop playing.

Android Wise. Is it possible to have an app that allows you to swipe up from the bottom of the device to wake it. It's like a natural motor function in me after using BB10 since launch.

What is a good IR app to control my TV? (I read somewhere the phone has an IR blaster in it)

Stupid Question. Can I install Amazon App store on a google play certified device?

Is there an app that puts all your open apps on a home screen like WebOS and BB10 does?

Other than Calls and Texts, can the phone be used on WIFI without affecting anything?

I didn't find KalemSoft in the Play store.
The M9 has a weather app pre-installed that uses accuweather data. The version on the Play Store is more fully featured though.
I'm not sure on the unified inbox, but nothing pre-installed does that.
Gsam is a battery monitoring tool, but the M9 has a battery graph built-in.
With the phone plugged in the M9 tells you at the bottom of the lock screen charging time left.
Google has its own launcher, but I prefer Sense honestly.
In Dolphin (the browser I use as default) doesn't allow YouTube to play in the background.
It does have a Notification LED, but only has one color.
Swipe to unlock is a setting to enable out of the box. You can also double tap to wake without unlocking.
The M9 comes with Peel Remote app built-in. It works pretty well for the most part.
Not sure about the open apps thing. I hate widgets and cluttered home screens. The recent apps button lets you see all open apps in a card interface if that's what you are referring to.
Yes, you can do pretty much everything on Wi-Fi that doesn't require a cell connection. 3rd party messaging apps should work fine on Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
KalemSoft Media Player
MX Player is one of the best. It should be able to play MKV, and has subtitle support, but I'm not sure about toggling languages.

Weather
Sure: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.accuweather.android&hl=en&token=6W_FhB2n. But there are a lot of decent weather apps. Check out Yahoo Weather and WeatherBug.

Unified Inbox
This is one thing that Blackberry and Windows Phone have a bit of an advantage over Android. Try Hootsuite.

BatteryGuru
GSam Battery Monitor is a good substitute.

You can always install Google Now Launcher to make it look like a Nexus device. Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher are similar, and give a very stock feel, but are more customizable than Google Now Launcher. This is a good resource: The best Android launchers of 2015 | Android Central

Has android fixed the thing where you can't listen to youtube in the background with the browser?
I don't think so. The last time I looked into this, I saw it mentioned that doing so violates the YouTube API's terms of service. Any apps that did this were removed from Google Play Store, although you might be able to find them elsewhere.

Yes: HTC One M9 - Notification LED - GETTING STARTED - How-tos - Support | HTC Middle East

Is it possible to have an app that allows you to swipe up from the bottom of the device to wake it.
Do you mean if the screen is asleep? I don't think so--at least not on the M9. Other devices like the LG G series can be awakened by knocking on the screen. You could probably do something similar on the M9 if you root it, but this kind of feature might increase battery drain, since the device has to be awake all the time to a certain extent to detect your touch. Not sure if there are any hacks that allow you to swipe up to awaken the phone.

Can I install Amazon App store on a google play certified device?
Yes. You just need to allow the phone to install apps from Unknown Sources.

Android has a Recent Apps list, which (obviously) shows your most recently opened apps. It allows you to switch back and forth between apps more easily, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all of those apps are remaining open and active in the background. Android doesn't quite have the true multitasking of BB10.

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa