Exchange Device Administrator

DaveWW00

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a Sprint Epic 4g. It is a personal phone but i setup exchange on it to read my work email since they are too cheap to give me a smartphone through work. The reimburse me for part of my bill (the voice part).

Anyway I had to swap out my Epic the other day because the slide keyboard was getting loose. After getting the new phone from them. I reinstalled everything and the updated to the test build of froyo like i had on the last phone.

everything was running great all day however tonight i got a message on the phone that i have to activate device administrator to check my work email on there. i hit cancel but the message keeps coming up. i do not want to allow them this access since its a personal phone are they are not paying for the full phone and data portion of the bill. i had work email setup on my last phone for months and never got this message and the phones and software are identical.

anyway is there a way to setup the email without allowing all this unrestricted access? they don't ask for full access to my home computer when i log on over the internet to check the email so why should they on my phone.

hopefully somebody has a solution. it was convenient for me to be able to check work email on the phone particularly since im not always working in the office. ill go without it though and become a less efficient worker before i ever give them full access to my personal phone and information.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
There are apps on the android market that let sign into other emails so you don't have to make one to the phone so like take the one you have off once you have the app that lets you bypass access it Just lets you access it threw a app instead of the phone and delete your one that's on the phone that is asking for personal info or just do a factory reset and see if it dose it again? Just an option you know? I never click on device administrator even when I did nothing happens

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
+1 -- try another Exchange client. Though if you really don't want their policies on your phone it's best to leave their email off your phone. If they think you have to have constant email access then they can provide a solution (i.e. device) for you.

LotusLord

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I just saw a device with this issue today (LG Optimus from US Cellular). We have several OG Droids, Droid Xs, Desires, etc none of which I have ever seen this pop up on. All users were able to set them up with little fuss and little coaching from the IT dept. I'm one of the 2 Exchange admins at my company and we don't require a password, as a matter of fact we didn't change any of the Default settings in the Exchange ActiveSync Policies as most of the smart phones in the company are purchased by the users themselves. I'd think that unless we had made changes to that policy it wouldn't force any changes (especially not a factory reset of the device)

Davanw

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Coming from another Exchange admin, I can assure you that this permission isn't a big deal, and is nothing really to worry about.

I mean, if admins want access to your mailbox, they'll get access to your mailbox, regardless if you active the permission on the phone or not.

All this really does is allow admins to remotely wipe company emails off your phone in the case, for example, you leave the company or your phone is lost or stolen.

Just allow the permission. It's really not a big deal.

AaronFyke

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
This is five years ago, but I just got this message. I don't have a problem with *Exchange* access, but the message says that the device administrator will be able to
* Erase all data without warning (not just limited to email)
* Monitor Screen Unlock attempts
* Lock the screen
* Encrypt SD card

and a bunch of other things that go far beyond email. Am I reading this right?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
That is a common list of things that a remote administrator can do to your phone.
Attaching your phone to the company email system often requires you to allow the company to be an admin on your phone.