Finally, a Wall Street Journal app

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just found a very good Wall Street Journal app that is not tablet only. As most of you wsj readers are aware, there has been no official wsj app released for android phones, only tablets. We have been forced to make due with generic newspaper and news readers. In comes "The Wall Street Reader" While not the official app, it has a very polished feel that even official apps like the nyt could learn from. There is a lite version that allows access to the nonsubscriber articles. I only tested this one for a few minutes until I bought the full version. Why?

First, about them nth overall. The layout is exceptionally clean and smooth. There are dropdowns for all major sections of the journal, and I mean all. Most of the generic readers force you to only get the major sections of world news, us news, business news, technology, and opinions. The WSR app takes this to a whole different level. It includes every single section of the paper (even local new York news and sports) and then adds all of the paper's subsections as well. I have never seen this done on a newspaper app except the nyt app, and this app does it better.

Next comes the speed. Since there are no adds on the paid version it loads even more quickly than my PC does over wifi. I simply could not believe it. I did not notice if the lite version had adds (I was a marketing major and thus completely ignore them even when they are there by habit) but it also has the same speed.

Next, comes navigation. Unlike many news Alps, the WSR keeps your downloads stories in cache and does not refresh them whenever you return to the main section screen from reading an article. My biggest complaint against Bloomberg and a few other news apps was the constant refreshing of the sections after each article I read. This took the fluidity out of moving from article to article. Not so on the WSR. Also, instead of breaking the article down into pages like "world newspapers" does, the articles are all scrollable. Again, this adds to the fluidity of the reading experience.

Finally comes multimedia. This is really the item that put all other news apps to shame. The WSR allows you access to the papers slideshows, audio reports, and video (video requires flash) all within the app. They work smoothly and without lag.

Now, the difference between the light and paid version is that the lite does not allow you access to subscriber content. The paid allows you to log in with you wsj account and access subscriber content.

While some may feel $6 for the paid version is high, I offer you this. If you are a subscriber to the wsj, Yu are already paying around $100 anually for your subscription. Can you really not spend $6 to bring your over $100 subscription with you wherever you go?

So there you have it. Another example f an independent developer making a program that the parent company will not, and don't it better than the other big newspapers who have made their own apps. Cheers to open source.

The app reviewed: The Wall Street Reader

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Just bought it. Very nice as you described.

I came from the Iphone where I used thier app and while it worked well, it has been far too long since they updated it. No fast app switching, no high res graphics. Not sure what they are doing over there, but Rupert seems to understand that growth will come from digitial media. Not sure why they are lagging so far behind. I guess it is somewhat encouraging that they released an android tablet app, but it makes no sense why they have been so slow to hit android with a phone app. Anyway, this will work well so thanks again.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Does the app give you access to all the content? *Edit* Found the answer, access is given to free content :). I know some of the material is only accessible to subscribers.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be giving this a try later in the day.

Last edited:

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Just reached out to WSJ about an official app;

Thank you for your interest in The Wall Street Journal Mobile Reader for Android.

We are working on a release for the Android mobile platform. We do not have a release date at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If we can be of further assistance please contact us by phone or email.

Best Regards,

Mobile Reader Customer Service
The Wall Street Journal. Digital Network

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Does the app give you access to all the content? *Edit* Found the answer, access is given to free content :). I know some of the material is only accessible to subscribers.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be giving this a try later in the day.

The paid version allows access to paid content if you are a subscriber to the WSJ online version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty