Square Credit Card reader

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody had experience with this app? Apparently, if you guys don't know about it, it's a completely free app. Once you sign up they send you a portable credit card machine that hooks up to your phone. In this way, you can actually take credit/debit card payments from your phone while on the move.

Anyways, I know the app itself is free, but what will be the long term costs? I believe it costs money for businesses to process credit card transactions through a machine like that. What would be the benefits and drawbacks from using something like this? And does anyone have any first hand experiences with it? I hear it's usable on the TBolt (which I'm getting if/when it comes out) and am very curious about an app like this.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
works fine...swiping card is a bit flaky sometimes but otherwise does what it says.
There's also an intuit competitor w/ slightly higher fees but quickbooks integration

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Curious if anyone has used both Square and Intuit. We are looking at it for my business right now. I talked with a person who has used one of the systems. She indicated that it can take several minutes to process one card.

Anyone have a different experience. Is one system quicker than the other. They both work the same and have about the same price. The possible differences would be in speed, reliability and ease of use.

jtrebes

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Stratosphere and use square up. I chose them because I liked Square up processing method a little better than Intuit (just my opinion, don?t want to debate which is better) and so far I?ve been happy with them. The reader does not work with my phone but the application works just fine. I manually enter the card number and process the sale. Down side of not using the reader is the extra charge for the manual entry but I accept that for now as I would not get the sale if I didn?t accept credit cards. I?m always looking for something better or if someone has figured out a way to use the reader with my phone I'm all ears. Jim

Chucky1

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Stratosphere and use square up. I chose them because I liked Square up processing method a little better than Intuit (just my opinion, don’t want to debate which is better) and so far I’ve been happy with them. The reader does not work with my phone but the application works just fine. I manually enter the card number and process the sale. Down side of not using the reader is the extra charge for the manual entry but I accept that for now as I would not get the sale if I didn’t accept credit cards. I’m always looking for something better or if someone has figured out a way to use the reader with my phone I'm all ears. Jim

I had the same problem with my Note when I first started using Sqaure. Come to find out, the reader didn't seat all the way at first. Pushed a little harder and has been trouble free for 5 months that I've been using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In addition to Square and Intuit, there's also a Paypal based competitor. My wife uses Square occasionional for her business, but is thinking of switching to Paypal because her site accepts online payments with Paypal, and it would be convienent to have everything in one place.