Maps vs Navigation

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Right now i use maps for navigation.

what i do is open maps, go to stared places if i have it saved and then get directions. or search for a place and then go to navigation

does anyone use just navigation? is it much faster in terms of steps needed to get to turn by turn directions?

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to go through Maps.
Just open navigation and use it, less steps than going through Maps.
You can use Star places our search for destination in the Nav

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah, my only thing is you can't really look at a map without having the gps turned on. like if you're just trying to get an idea of where you are

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Or .. You can just press and hold your search key and speak from any screen "Navigate to <XXXXX>" and Navigation will open and start .. Limits the steps to 1 :)

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
yeah, my only thing is you can't really look at a map without having the gps turned on. like if you're just trying to get an idea of where you are
You can certainly look at maps without GPS on. It won't accurately locate you as it has to fall back on other, less accurate methods of determining your location but you can certainly look at maps.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know its less accurate. But its much easier to search for places. I just foundout the universal search will search maps too

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Did not know that. Like full address or can it be a place. Like mcdonalds

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Anything at all. Full Address, "Places", Contacts, airports, cities, zip codes, etc etc. AS long as it's not too loud around you and can hear your voice ok, I find it does a pretty good job.

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Turn by turn navigation is like trying to look at a map through a drinking straw. Using the maps mode is much more usefull because you can see where you are in relation to the rest of the map, and other places that you have to go that day, instead of just in relation to your next left turn which you already know 90% of the time anyway.

Also, looking at maps allows you to use your intuitive map skills to assess shortcuts, probable truck routes, probable traffic patterns, or if you have a large vehicle, the need to make all left turns and pre-asses intersection angles.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Turn by turn navigation is like trying to look at a map through a drinking straw. Using the maps mode is much more usefull because you can see where you are in relation to the rest of the map, and other places that you have to go that day, instead of just in relation to your next left turn which you already know 90% of the time anyway.
No, it is not. Thanks for trying to speak for me. Be careful making sweeping generalizations based solely on your particular preferences. I don't use a nav or mapping app for routes that I know and drive 90% of the time except for the traffic layer in Google Maps.

For me, the voice prompts are a must-have. Distractions such as analyzing maps are left for my copilot (when I have one).

Also, looking at maps allows you to use your intuitive map skills to assess shortcuts, probable truck routes, probable traffic patterns, or if you have a large vehicle, the need to make all left turns and pre-asses intersection angles.
Letting my nav app access real time traffic data is much more useful to me than my random speculation on what traffic might or might not be like. To each his own though but, again, be careful with the broad, sweeping statements based on your specific preferences.

I prefer using maps but navigation is more accurate.
How so, exactly? You do realize that both apps use the very same GPS receiver? It's the GPS receiver that determines accuracy. Are you referring to inaccurate location data within the apps?

I just want a good way to use navagation offline anywhere
Buy a nav app that stores maps locally such as Co Pilot or Navigon. Google Maps Nav isn't the only nav solution on Android despite what many apparently think.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699