Facbook 1.6 beta?

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone get accepted to test the beta? If so can you let us check it out too and post the apk?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping to get in on the beta, too, but I don't want people to post the APK. If they do, then something like this could never happen again. I like that Facebook is doing this and don't want them to be turned off by the Android community leaking every single thing.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
i got accepted but i never got the apk

You will probably receive the notification to download the .apk soon, don't worry.

I would highly suggest everyone sitting tight until the beta is gold. Like Stang68 said, we don't want Facebook to be turned away from the community for distributed an app illegally that wasn't intended for everyone. Looks like they are starting to hear from the community and we may get a decent Facebook app from the source.

Reactions: Stang68

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I think we know what a beta test is right? And I just want to test it out too! Is it even possible to pirate a FREE app?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I think we know what a beta test is right? And I just want to test it out too! Is it even possible to pirate a FREE app?

I'm betting you have to agree to some sort of NDA when you are accepted, which would make posting the apk illegal. Paid or free, it's their creative property, and distributing it in a way they didn't intend is piracy (see: Swype).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Imo Yes, because you are redistributing the app. It's probably no big deal that the app is floating around the internet because I'm sure it will happen. Just like the Netflix app. Facebook provides an avenue to join the Beta so those wanting in on the action should sign-up just like everyone else.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, it sure is.

Beta testing isn't something that you just let out into the wild. The developers don't want bug ridden versions running rampant willy nilly, for a variety of reasons... security defects, unintended havoc on servers, obscene amount of support tickets, bug reports on obsolete versions, etc..

Beta testing is best done in a controlled environment.

Reactions: srkmagnus

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't care of testing anything. I just want a better FB app... One that Androiders would come to appreciate.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing even if you got the .apk, they'd block you (they ask you for your email that's associated with your account).

At least it would be dumb for them to let anyone sign on using a beta program they are trying to control. My guess is they authenticate the beta software against the approved beta users.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
What, exactly, is supposed to be improved in the 1.6 update, just out of curiosity? Also, how do you get accepted for the beta? Is it just random, among people who have Facebook accounts that use the app on their phones? Or is there some way to sign up?

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What, exactly, is supposed to be improved in the 1.6 update, just out of curiosity? Also, how do you get accepted for the beta? Is it just random, among people who have Facebook accounts that use the app on their phones? Or is there some way to sign up?

I wanna know the same thing...what's so special thats being updated that they can't just update it like they usually do? The current version does suck tho, document hoping things get MUCH better this time around

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I wanna know the same thing...what's so special thats being updated that they can't just update it like they usually do? The current version does suck tho, document hoping things get MUCH better this time around

If you would look at the link that's 2 posts above yours, you'd see:

A partial list of fixes includes:

• Improved News Feed including comment liking
  • Pages
  • Video Uploads
  • Many bug fixes

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
A partial list of fixes includes: Improved News Feed including comment liking Pages Video Uploads Many bug fixes
Wow, we already have this in the pre-installed Facebook app. If they really want to make this app great, they should study the functions & features of the full version of Facebook - then make a duplicate mobile version for Android.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Facebook blows on Android. The app on webOS was much better. Hoping for some fixes.

Friendcaster is a great replacement. It was formally known as Flow for Facebook but got taken over. Give it a try and see how you like it. The Official Facebook app needs to be brought up to speed with it's counterparts, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo