looking for an app to play music from phone to radio wirelessly

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I want to be able to play the music off my phone on my car radio with having to use an auxiliary jack since by truck does not have one.

Any recommendations?

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I want to be able to play the music off my phone on my car radio with having to use an auxiliary jack since by truck does not have one.

Any recommendations?

i assume your stereo probably doesn't have built in bluetooth support either?

the links provided by Gekko are great reads!

Briefly, your physical options are RCA cable (which you don't have) USB connection (which i am assuming you don't have) or a tape-deck adapter. Of these options i prefer USB as the audio loss is going to be minimal.

Your wireless options are a stereo with built-in bluetooth, a radio transceiver that connects manually to your device, or a hands free device that has a FM Transmitter.

An FM transmitter will broadcast to a (typically) lower frequency wavelength so that you can listen to your device on your FM radio in your car. This works fairly well. Sometimes you might have to adjust the station a few times to find one with no interference and you will almost always have a little bit of white noise using this option. It can be particularly hard if you live in a more FM saturated area like a big city.

These devices can hook directly into your device, either through a USB port or more commonly through the headphone jack. Or you can get one that will pair wirelessly with your device.

I got one of these:

Motorola T505 Bluetooth Portable In-Car Speakerphone

I love it. It serves as my hands-free device for driving and for the music on my phone. I can enjoy hands-free phone calls over my car stereo and it works seamlessly with my phone. For example if i am listening to music and i get a call it pauses the music until the call is over. For $50 you're not going to do better unless you start looking at the more expensive higher end devices. My only complaint with the motorola is that it scans stations it thinks will work best and doesn't let you manually select them. Sometimes this can be a little frustrating as you have to keep hitting the button to find the perfect station.

That being said if i lost or broke mine today i would buy a new one immediatly - it is perfect for my needs. and after owning it almost 2 years the battery is still going strong. I charge it maybe once every 2 weeks and i use it at least 45 minutes every day.

hope that helped
good luck

Reactions: 0pusX

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you try reading what I wrote or the links posted above?
There is no app that will do what you are asking for without a hardware framework.
Many modern car stereos will have built in bluetooth. If yours doesn't then your only wireless option is a bluetooth speaker that has an fm transmitter. There are several on the market, I linked the one I use above.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

james hodges

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just thought i would add to this. I have an evo 3d and an app called funcgen (its on google play store). On PM mode it can over ride car stereos radio with different tones etc so why cant a dev team re code this app to play music or something? If i knew how i would give it a go

Olivox

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi, just thought i would add to this. I have an evo 3d and an app called funcgen (its on google play store). On PM mode it can over ride car stereos radio with different tones etc so why cant a dev team re code this app to play music or something? If i knew how i would give it a go

Hey ! I'm studying in programming and I'd like to have something like this too... like a blue tooth to play music from anything to anything even if it doesn't have the specs... Use the radio signal to do it :)

I'll talk to some friends and try to come up with some thing some day. Could be an open source project we make together.
Can you talk to me more about the app that you are using ?

Thanks,

Olivox

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
OK PEOPLE.......UNDERSTAND THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU ASK HOW TO PLAY MUSIC FROM YOUR CELL TO YOUR CAR STEREO.

You can not do this unless you have a car stereo system that allows input through a few HARDWARE and software possibilities.

To be able to do this you have to have:

1. a car stereo with wifi or bluetooth ability.
2. a car stereo with a 3.5mm jack, RCA jacks, or USB port.

If your car stereo does not have these.....then the only other possibilities are crappy ways to make music play on your car stereo.

1. am/fm channel tuner to radio.....
2. wired cassette tape adapter
3. wired cd adapter
these suck because quality are not very good.

So.....there is no magical app that lets you play music from your phone to your car stereo in other ways if your car stereo does not have the above elements.

So....you need to buy a new car stereo that allows for phone connection via some way as stated above.

Good Luck

Izamd

Feb 9, 2018
Visit site
Moto Z2 play can use Bluetooth headphone to listen FM radio out of the box without any apps.
just insert ear jack 3.5mm as antenna and you can listen live FM radio without data involve.
You can try in store to justified that.

Just use moto Z2 play and you can listen to FM radio transmit to you via Bluetooth. No need internet data. What a brilliant devise it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

AbigailKitt

Dec 20, 2021
Visit site
OK PEOPLE.......UNDERSTAND THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU ASK HOW TO PLAY MUSIC FROM YOUR CELL TO YOUR CAR STEREO.

You can not do this unless you have a car stereo system that allows input through a few HARDWARE and software possibilities.

To be able to do this you have to have:

1. a car stereo with wifi or bluetooth ability.
2. a car stereo with a 3.5mm jack, RCA jacks, or USB port.

If your car stereo does not have these.....then the only other possibilities are crappy ways to make music play on your car stereo.

1. am/fm channel tuner to radio.....
2. wired cassette tape adapter
3. wired cd adapter
these suck because quality are not very good.

So.....there is no magical app that lets you play music from your phone to your car stereo in other ways if your car stereo does not have the above elements.

So....you need to buy a new car stereo that allows for phone connection via some way as stated above.

Good Luck

I really don’t understand why this now requires HARDWARE. YEARS ago, I had a Samsung phone that came with an FM transmitter. All I had to do was choose that, choose my station (on the phone), put the radio on said station & presto, the music on my phone was playing on the radio! Oh wait, maybe it has something to do with $$$. 🤨

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I really don’t understand why this now requires HARDWARE. YEARS ago, I had a Samsung phone that came with an FM transmitter. All I had to do was choose that, choose my station (on the phone), put the radio on said station & presto, the music on my phone was playing on the radio! Oh wait, maybe it has something to do with $$$.
Hi welcome to AC!!
Not sure that member is around that you quoted that they made in 2017 while the thread is from 2011. A lot has changed in mobile in those times .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I really don’t understand why this now requires HARDWARE. YEARS ago, I had a Samsung phone that came with an FM transmitter. All I had to do was choose that, choose my station (on the phone), put the radio on said station & presto, the music on my phone was playing on the radio! Oh wait, maybe it has something to do with $$$. ������

Welcome to Android Central! Music via FM transmitter is very low quality. Bluetooth is much higher quality. So no, it doesn't have to do with money.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I know people have a downer on using FM transmitters but if you can find a free frequency that is not being hogged by a pirate radio station then reception can be as good as a normal FM radio broadcast. Overall music quality and fidelity will be more limited by the quality of the vehicle radio and speakers and the cab environment than by the transmitter itself. Playing the kind of highly compressed pop and rock that is tailored for listening to on cheap and nasty radios will be just as enjoyable as if listening to a normal FM radio station. You are never going to get near the concert hall experience with wide dynamic range and good acoustic balance no matter what equipment you use in a vehicle.