Android Auto first impressions thread (and ask us anything!)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
2015-03-19 15.55.25.jpg

OK, it seems like a few of us got Pioneer units installed this week. So let's use this thread to answer questions folks have!

I'm making the leap from a single-DIN Kenwood I was never crazy about to the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Definitely a bit of a leap.

Initial thoughts:

• GP Music is pretty slow? Or maybe that's my M8 dogging it? And no album/artist lists?
  • Pocket Casts (an app I love on the phone) is really good. (But I kinda can't believe it's getting so much play and still doesn't have Google account support.)
  • Need to try TuneIn still.
  • Maps are decent. But still kinda slow to launch.
  • Voice control is OK, but kinda slow to launch. Got a text from my wife, and it took a second or two to read it back to me. (Maybe shouldn't have even showed the notification? Almost seems like an extra distraction.) But it took way too long for me to be able to reply.
  • Did I mention things are a little slow?

Otherwise, this is fun as hell! :)

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
How does it sound, is it an upgrade or is it just about the same as before? How responsive is the screen and how are the viewing angles and brightness?

Posted via the Android Central App

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get it installed? I want to get one of the Pioneer units but I was trying to figure out who would install it for the best price.

KidCuda

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
How is talking on the actual phone? And is there phone completely disabled when plugged in?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How is talking on the actual phone? And is there phone completely disabled when plugged in?

The phone is semi-disabled. I noticed that lock-screen notifications still show up, and you can dismiss them, etc. But for the most part, the phone is in "car mode" and you can't get to the launcher or do much of anything with it while in Android Auto mode.

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
If it locks you out, how easy /quick is it to get back to your phone when you leave the car?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How does it sound, is it an upgrade or is it just about the same as before? How responsive is the screen and how are the viewing angles and brightness?

Can't speak for Phil's unit, but I have the 8100NEX and it sounds awesome. I'm using the factory amp and it sounds great. Good bass and dynamic sounds.

I must confess, the capacitive touch screen, like most glass screens is a bit of a fingerprint magnet in direct sunlight; however, it's very bright and visible. It can automatically dim for nighttime (if you hook it properly to your car's headlight wire).

I installed mine myself. Somewhat challenging if you've never installed a car radio before, but if you're mechanically and/or electronically inclined you should be able to do it without hurting anything. (Just be sure to disconnect your battery before doing anything else, to avoid shorting anything.) If you have any doubt about doing it, seek professional installation.

ricepuddin

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
When you say Google play music is slow, do you mean slow to launch or slow to respond to inputs?

I know playing it through my Bluetooth through ford's sync system, it's large as hell. I some times end up skipping 2 instead of one.

Though it reads and replies to texts quickly

matboud

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So does this mean no ingress.... while stopped....without disconnecting the phone?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

I forget the Kenwood model I had before, but I daresay I think this sounds better already, particularly for satellite? (Though that might well have more to do with that component?)

The resistive display is ... resistive. But there was no way I was going to be able to pay $1,400 for capacitive and mapping features I'd never use. The angles are OK. I can still see it with my Ray Bans on.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Where did you get it installed? I want to get one of the Pioneer units but I was trying to figure out who would install it for the best price.

I had Best Buy do it all. (I figure it's kinda like building a PC, which I can do, but really don't enjoy anymore. Though I wish I knew more about car stuff.) Was about $1,000 total, with new satellite stuff and the other sundries. Definitely not cheap.

But the install was only $64, and quick, and dude seemed to know his stuff. I'd used BB before for that and was perfectly happy.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
When you say Google play music is slow, do you mean slow to launch or slow to respond to inputs?

I know playing it through my Bluetooth through ford's sync system, it's large as hell. I some times end up skipping 2 instead of one.

Though it reads and replies to texts quickly

Launches just fine. Slow to load. But I need to wipe a phone and see how things are. I have a sneaking suspicion that might be part of it. (C'mon GS6!)

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I had Best Buy do it all. (I figure it's kinda like building a PC, which I can do, but really don't enjoy anymore. Though I wish I knew more about car stuff.) Was about $1,000 total, with new satellite stuff and the other sundries. Definitely not cheap.

But the install was only $64, and quick, and dude seemed to know his stuff. I'd used BB before for that and was perfectly happy.

Sweet! I didn't even notice Best Buy had this in-stock by me. I'm mainly wondering how this is going to look in my car, I have a newer (2014) Honda Accord, which Pioneer says on their site is compatible with the model you had installed, but the factory head unit is an 8 inch display. I wonder how the 8 inch to 7 inch difference is going to look. I guess I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and chat with them about it!

Barry_Crawford

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Got my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX installed yesterday at Best Buy and was excited to see Android Auto app arrive today!

Noticed an interesting thing when navigating tonight using Google Maps in Android Auto. The map background, which is usually gray at night, was a much more soothing dark blue. :)

First screenshot is a device without Android Auto installed and the second screenshot is my device with Android Auto.

Gray background.jpg
Dark blue background.jpg

Both my devices have the same version of Google Maps (9.6) installed and the dark blue background appeared only after installing the Android Auto app.

The dark blue background continues to appear on that device even when I'm not in the car connected to Android Auto.

BTW, I love Android Auto! The interface is very well thought out and the Material Design looks great.

I was able to compare it to CarPlay this morning (using a friend's iPhone) and was struck by how stark and bland CarPlay's screens are. Almost everything is a black screen with white letters. There is no album art when playing music and while on a phone call there is no picture of the caller.

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX installed yesterday at Best Buy and was excited to see Android Auto app arrive today!

Noticed an interesting thing when navigating tonight using Google Maps in Android Auto. The map background, which is usually gray at night, was a much more soothing dark blue. :)

First screenshot is a device without Android Auto installed and the second screenshot is my device with Android Auto.

View attachment 167520
View attachment 167521

Both my devices have the same version of Google Maps (9.6) installed and the dark blue background appeared only after installing the Android Auto app.

The dark blue background continues to appear on that device even when I'm not in the car connected to Android Auto.

BTW, I love Android Auto! The interface is very well thought out and the Material Design looks great.

I was able to compare it to CarPlay this morning (using a friend's iPhone) and was struck by how stark and bland CarPlay's screens are. Almost everything is a black screen with white letters. There is no album art when playing music and while on a phone call there is no picture of the caller.
Holy hell, one of my main gripes with Google Maps is the horrible night colors which make surrounding streets and traffic pretty much invisible. Thanks for reporting this!

EDIT: unfortunately doesn't work here on my N6. Installed Auto, started it, and nothing. Restarted phone, nothing again.

Last edited:

Barry_Crawford

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Since my phone (Droid Turbo) is still stuck on Android 4.4.4 I side-loaded the Android Auto APK on my Nexus 9 tablet to try it out in the car. The N9 displays the dark blue background. I don't know if side-loading onto a tablet would cause the background color change. Hopefully someone with a Lollipop phone (other than the N6) can confirm this change since the new color is much better!

andy o

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Since my phone (Droid Turbo) is still stuck on Android 4.4.4 I side-loaded the Android Auto APK on my Nexus 9 tablet to try it out in the car. The N9 displays the dark blue background. I don't know if side-loading onto a tablet would cause the background color change. Hopefully someone with a Lollipop phone (other than the N6) can confirm this change since the new color is much better!
Tried it on my Shield Tablet on 5.0.1, didn't work either. Maps for the N9 is another version (arm64), so maybe that's it? In any case, it's encouraging that they're maybe finally fixing this. It's impossible to see traffic at night for alternate routes.