Android Auto first impressions thread (and ask us anything!)

Russ_T

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't aware of a setting on my phone, and that it would affect AA. Thank you, I have set it to softer, I'll see if that improves things.

Cheers

mikej1973

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't aware of a setting on my phone, and that it would affect AA. Thank you, I have set it to softer, I'll see if that improves things.

Cheers

Also change the volume when she's talking! Different from changing the volume when music is playing (I'd never have worked it out for myself!)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I picked up my brand new 2016 Golf which has MirrorLink and Android Auto. So far it's cool, I really like that the voice activation is integrated into the multimedia system (I can use the voice activation on my steering wheel to bring up Google Now), Google Maps works well and music play (google play) works as expected. To be honest, I am not blown away...this is my very first car to have both Bluetooth connectivity and Android Auto, the bluetooth functionality for voice/media works awesome already without the need of physical connection. I really hope AA expands this year, we see more cars getting it so i am hoping they pump out a lot more functionality.

DougLDavis

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S8 and trying to connect to a Kenwood DDX9703S with Android Auto. After touching the Android Auto button on my receiver it was able to show the application but the buttons at the bottom (navigation, phone, home etc.) were not operational. Most of the time when I connect the USB cable and touch the Android Auto icon the screen just goes black. The bluetooth playing music and receiving phone calls works perfectly.

DougLDavis

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
I corrected the problem by disconnecting the cable that goes to the truck's USB hub and using the USB cable from the radio, directly. I will add power to the hub from and alternate source sometime in the future. Apparently, the factory wiring isn't sufficient for Android Auto.

varxtis

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
The Android Auto app makes it's primary function obnoxiously know to a counter productive degree, and that is "Safety". My wife and I just got a new car that supports Android auto and I'm very frustrated with it. It locks you out of the phone completely when connected, except through the Notifications drop down panel. It's list of supported apps that are of key interest to me is 1 (Doubletwist). Voxer being left out. You can't browse the internet, even when parked. And even the Artist/playlist/album/etc browser feature that only requires one finger on an audio player like Double twist is locked while the car is in motion. When the car is stopped/parked, it still doesn't work because it freezes. What if my passenger wants to browse. You are taking away our rights as users and drivers. Hold drivers that text and drive accountable for their own actions. Don't force an entire market of users to be accountable for their stupidity. I HATE THIS APP!! It makes me so frustrated I end up getting 10x more distracted by trying to disconnect the phone from the car and just do what I need to do without that bleeping android auto app.
Make an app that does straight Screen Mirroring. THATS IT!!