On my 4100NEX, why can't I pair Bluetooth and Google Play Music crashes repeatedly?

GeeCee

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
4100NEX can't pair bluetooth and Google Play Music crashes repeatedly

I recently got my 4100NEX hooked up and have run into a few issues when using it with my Nexus 5 running the Android M developer preview. Firstly, immediately after Android Auto starts, it attempts to pair itself to my phone. For some reason, however, this doesn't work. Regardless of if I push Yes or No, it fails and tries again and again, even if I don't push either button at all! It also eventually wipes out my other bluetooth pairings (including my Pebble Time watch) which is a huge pain. This occurs both when the phone is paired with the head unit via the Pioneer menus and when it is not - no difference.

(I took a video of this happening but I'm not able to post links until I have 10 posts.)

I also run into an issue where I can't see Google Play Music on the head unit. If I tap the button, it will open with a black screen that reads Google Play Music at the top but then it closes immediately, only to open once more, close again, and then return me back to the main Android Auto screen. Sound plays through the vehicle's speakers if I run Google Play Music manually on the phone while connected through Android Auto, it's just pretty inconvenient. :)

My first inclination is to roll my Nexus 5 back to the latest version of Lollipop, but I'd rather not do that for work-related reasons. I'm using the latest version (1.03) of firmware available from Pioneer. Anyone else out there running an Android Auto head unit with an Android M device?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: 4100NEX can't pair bluetooth and Google Play Music crashes repeatedly

I've seen some of that, I think. Just have to be patient for Google Play Music to start up sometimes. It's annoying. :-/

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

BT is broken on M dev preview. I see the same on my Nexus 9.

We were supposed to get a new M dev preview about every 30 days, but release #2 seems about 2 weeks late so far. And now we're in summer holiday season where often little work gets done.

GeeCee

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

BT is broken on M dev preview. I see the same on my Nexus 9.

We were supposed to get a new M dev preview about every 30 days, but release #2 seems about 2 weeks late so far. And now we're in summer holiday season where often little work gets done.

BT is broken on M dev preview entirely or just with Android Auto? On my Nexus 5 I have no issues with my Pebble or pairing it with the 4100NEX outside of Android Auto.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

BT is broken on M dev preview entirely or just with Android Auto? On my Nexus 5 I have no issues with my Pebble or pairing it with the 4100NEX outside of Android Auto.

Maybe mostly with AA; it could have been related to the automatic pairing APIs and manual pairing was OK.

M Dev preview 2 is out today and seems to fix these problems on my Nexus 9.

GeeCee

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

Maybe mostly with AA; it could have been related to the automatic pairing APIs and manual pairing was OK.

M Dev preview 2 is out today and seems to fix these problems on my Nexus 9.

Yep, preview 2 seems to have fixed both of these issues. Glad that it came out when it did, I was getting ready to restore from a nandroid backup to 5.1.1 (and the broken GPS)!