Android Auto not connecting since OS upgrade to 6.0

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I have an HTC One M9 and a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I was successfully using Android Auto when I had Android 5.0 OS on the phone. I just upgraded to Android 6.0 and Android Auto no longer works when I connect to the cars USB port. Here are the individual steps I have taken and they all have not worked.

1 - Uninstalled/Reinstalled the Auto app, disabled/reinabled Auto on the car system, disconnected/reconnected bluetooth to phone, changed usb cable
2 - Wiped the OS Cache
3 - Did a factory reset of the phone and reinstalled all apps from scratch

HTC and especially Hyundai are clueless. The phone seems to connect/disconnect and screens for Android Auto permissions come and go and are not diplayed long enough to enter anything. I've even enabled developer options and turned usb debuging on.

Does anyone have a clue on how to resolve this? If I could go back to the previous OS I would.

daerik

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the Galaxy S7 Edge delivered on Tuesday. It has Android 6.0. I can relay my feedback once I try connecting using the Marshmallow OS.

bobshouseofpancakes

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S7 Edge last week. It will not connect to my Android Auto either. My Sonata just says that it is connecting/reading USB. I read on another forum to try to uninstall Android Auto on your phone, reboot and connect to your car. It should prompt you to download and install Android Auto on your phone and accept the security changes. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though to see if it works.

I upgraded from a S6 Edge that would only connect after unplugging it and plugging it back in 5-6 times. It would then only stay connected for about 10 minutes and then I would get a message saying the phone isn't responding and to try to reconnect the phone. I thought it was an issue with the USB port on the phone, but since I'm having issues with my S7 Edge as well, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have updated my Android Auto firmware from they Hyundai site as well already.

boomboom21

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue with my Galaxy Note 5 after upgrading to 6.0. It appears to be because Android 6.0 defaults to USB charging mode. If I change it to MTP it works. I don't see a way to change this default behavior yet. Pretty lame.

jonesyvoor

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Galaxy Note 5. When I manually switch to MTP it will launch Android Auto but I'll get the STOP screen on my phone indicating I need to park my car, even though it's parked at the time.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that after changing to MTP it reverts back to "charging".

Doing a bit more research it appears "charging" is the default and cannot be changed.

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I tried that option to set the USB to MTP through the developer options. That also failed to get me connected. From what I see on other forums it seems to be an Android 6(Marshmallow) problem with existing car systems. It looks like we will probably have to wait for either an update from Hyundai or HTC to get it to work. One would think this would have gone through better testing before release.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
what systems or headunits are you guys having issues with? I just got my S7 edge yesterday, it connected to my Pioneer 8100nex with no issues what so ever after going through the setup steps. maybe it's the placebo effect, but the audio seems to sound a bit better over my S6 on Android Auto.......

daerik

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I am connecting a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935T) on a T-Mobile Network to an AVH-4100NEX (1.053) in a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis. I can confirm that my connection was successful and I was able to use Google Maps, Spotify, and BeyondPod without error. Something different that I noticed with this phone was that I had to set a default setting the first time I plugged it into a computer, which I did prior to plugging it into my head unit. After plugging into my head unit, I had to press "Accept" on about 6 different permissions from phone logs, to messages, to media. Please note: I have USB Debugging turned on.

Let me know if you have questions,
Daerik

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
After plugging into my head unit, I had to press "Accept" on about 6 different permissions from phone logs, to messages, to media. Please note: I have USB Debugging turned on.
same here, after giving the permissions it was smooth sailing, I even disconnected, then reconnected and it auto connected with no issues, I also enabled USB debugging

cinavs

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried my AT&T S7E with my Hyundai Santa Fe and could not get it to connect. So, I tried my Nexus 6P and no problem. Then I decided to try a different(newer) USB cable with my S7E and it worked just fine.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
so initially thought all was well with my S7 edge and android auto on Pioneer 8100nex, when I tested it out I only made sure it connected and reconnected to test the auto start, well come to find out it freezes sometimes immediately after connection or after a few minutes, you can get it to reconnect by unplugging the phone and plugging it back in, but only for a few minutes before freezing again smh, google really needs to address this asap!! really annoying

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
update, I changed nothing at all on the phone, I am now good to go!! I had a usb extension going from my headunit to an external usb connection that's on my aftermarket dash kit in my 2011 mustang, I removed the extension and actually eliminated the external usb all together, I took the Samsung charge cord that comes with the phone, I plugged directly into the headunit, turns out the extension was the issue, it was not a problem with my S6, but the S7 wasn't having it.

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Scott-O,

What was is it you did to get AA to work on the Galaxy 7 with the AVH8100? I have the AVH4100 and have a USB coming out of the back of the AVH4100 (USB 2 for Android) and that connects to the factory USB in my Nissan via part Metra AX-NISUSB2 USB Adapter for Nissan. Plugged into that is the S7 Edge via my S5 USB cord that I took out of the wall plug but it doesn't seem to work. If it's a cord issue or a charging issue I'd love to hear about it. I'd like to know what you did to get to work.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Scott-O,

What was is it you did to get AA to work on the Galaxy 7 with the AVH8100? I have the AVH4100 and have a USB coming out of the back of the AVH4100 (USB 2 for Android) and that connects to the factory USB in my Nissan via part Metra AX-NISUSB2 USB Adapter for Nissan. Plugged into that is the S7 Edge via my S5 USB cord that I took out of the wall plug but it doesn't seem to work. If it's a cord issue or a charging issue I'd love to hear about it. I'd like to know what you did to get to work.

Thanks,
Matt
I had to eliminate the usb extension cable I had running from the #2 usb in the back of the unit to a external usb, I connected the stock Samsung charge/data cord directly into the #2 usb, after that it was good to go

ghuss

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung 7 Edge All problems of Android Auto connection solved by replacing the USB Cable with new High speed original