Why is my Android Auto playing sound through phone rather than the car speakers?

fatso101

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Android Auto playing sound through phone rather than car speakers

I just got a 2016 Honda Civic. I'm trying to use Android Auto to listen to Audible and Spotify from my Galaxy S6. Both apps appear in the display on my dashboard, but they are playing through my phone rather than the speakers in my car. I'm going to continue exploring, but I can't seem to find a menu option or anything that would explain this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

VIKINGSSS

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Android Auto playing sound through phone rather than car speakers

Maybe your speaker system isn't being detected properly? Have you tried it on another car?

fatso101

May 4, 2016
Visit site

@VIKINGSSS

Unfortunately, I don't have another car to try it on. Are you referring to Android Auto detecting the speaker system? Or the car in general? I am able to connect my audio and stuff to the car via bluetooth without issue, if that helps.

jszilvagyi

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my 2017 Hyundai Elantra when pairing with a BlackBerry Priv that was just updated to Android 6.0.1.
I can pair the handset to the head unit with just Bluetooth and the A2DP plays beautifully through the head unit. When I connect via USB for Android Auto, the handset only plays audio through the handheld speaker.
The head unit will play other audio sources without any problem and even mute the volume for phone calls. The map feature is easily the best I've used in any car (I even prefer it to Waze on my phone).

I've heard that enabling MTP mode on the phone works for some of the Samsung phones running 6.0.1. Will try that after work today to see if it enables audio streaming for me.

Revrob17

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site

Same symptoms with Galaxy Note 4, 2016 Chevrolet Colorado, android 6.0.1

I tried the MTP setting and couldn't get it to work.

*update: changing the USB settings to MTP while android auto is functioning will play audio through the speakers for a moment. Then it seems that AA switches it back to charge only mode and audio is forced back through the phone speaker.

Last edited:

Marie Torres1

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Moto Z play and my Ford Escape 2015. Before I used regular bluetooth it was fine it all started when I started using Andriod auto.
But I believe I found the issue. Open the app go to settings - auto launch - manage all bluetooth devices then click the wheel icon next to the name of your car bluetooth name and un click phone audio.

muse480

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site

Several issues with AA and the on board infotainment system, the techs at the dealership insist there's going to be an update by Honda soon... we'll see...

gdam22

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the identical issue with a Honda Accord.

Anyone find a working solution?

Running Android Auto via USB. Sound works great for Google play and Maps.

Can connect phone via bluetooth fine and it plays. When I try the phone, it mutes Android Auto and sound only comes through my phone.

Honda issue? Android Auto Issue? Maybe both?

lbesso

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I had a similar issue when I connected my Moto E for the first time. In that moment, I had to give all permissions required by Android Auto. Then I played music but it was played in the phone. I tried to solve the problem disconnecting and connecting the USB-cable but the issue still happens.
Finally, I reboot the phone and connect it to Android Auto and I couldn't reproduce the issue anymore.

Cheers.

auipga

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Just recently ran into this problem again (Renault Zoe, R-link, Poco X3, custom ROM near AOSP)

I can't tell you which step solved it but I did the following. (Order might not be correct)
- restart head unit (tap and hold power button until it turns black)
- toggle Bluetooth on the phone
- restart phone
- remove phone from paired devices in the car
- remove all paired devices in the car (which is a separate action in the menu) keep bt off on mobile to prevent instant repair!
- remove pairing with car on the phone (while head unit is turned off to prevent instant repair)
- restart both again
- clear car list in android auto settings on the phone (I think this fixed it)
- disable automatic start of android auto when nearby a bt device (this setting launches AA on the phone, not on the head unit)

I hope one of these steps will help you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty