Suggestions for aftermarket HU?

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Recently purchased a Kenwood Excelon DDX9903S and I could not be more disappointed with it. The interface is terrible and Android Auto (at least on this specific HU) seems to be wildly inconsistent.

I currently own an LG G2 and constantly get "Unsupported Device" when I plug it in (Running 5.0.2) and this is with the newest firmware upgrade for the HU. Trying my wife's G3 out it will work occasionally but on the ride home I got the same "Unsupported Device" error. Most times I get this error my phone even has the icon on the status bar saying AA is connected (but without the screen blackout indicative of it actually working).

Anyone have better luck with this HU or have one that is more user friendly? At this point AA is really offering nothing over standard bluetooth functionality other than the maps, and for that I can just get a dash mount. So dash mount and a bluetooth capable HU for ~$200 or an AA HU for $800+. Seems like a no brainer if its going to be this much of a hassle. I can hop in my car, keep my phone in my pocket and the BT connection will automatically play whatever music app I have open. No I cannot browse my library (thats limited anyway on AA, Spotify won't show my individual saved songs), but BT works right away. I don't spend 3-4 min in the car trying to get it all connected and working properly.

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Before replacing the HU try some different cables. I had major issues with my S7 before I figured out that the long cable I was using was causing the problem. My LG G4 worked most of the time but I bet it would have been perfect with a decent cable.

Shorter seems to be better. Or use the original one that came with the phone.

FWIW, I am using the Pioneer 4100-NEX and love it.

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Before replacing the HU try some different cables. I had major issues with my S7 before I figured out that the long cable I was using was causing the problem. My LG G4 worked most of the time but I bet it would have been perfect with a decent cable.

Shorter seems to be better. Or use the original one that came with the phone.

FWIW, I am using the Pioneer 4100-NEX and love it.

I'll give the factory cable a shot. This is a 3' one from monoprice that I'm using. I'm sure it will charge just fine and I can use the factory cable in the car if needed.

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Tried out the cable that came with the phone from the factory and still no luck. Struggling to find a pattern as to why it will work at times and not at others. I have even tried just quitting all programs on task manager and making sure there isn't anything running in the background that would cause an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non