Anyone else NOT get the option to merge GV w/ Hangouts yet?

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to figure out why I have not been given the option to migrate my GV sms to Hangouts yet.

Please comment w/ your OS version, phone model and carrier so we can get an idea.

Me:

4.4.2, S4, Verizon.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I never saw that dialog box to migrate, but I've got the newest version of hangouts and the hangout dialer. With a couple of hours of my life I can never get back, I managed to change the settings in google voice and hangouts to end up with hangouts as my texting app and a combined text inbox for GV and the built in messaging app. But I still cannot figure out how to use hangouts to send a text from my GV number rather than my regular SMS phone number. I also find that when I touch a contact in hangouts, the default is to send a hangouts message, which vanishes in the ether for people not using hangouts. A couple of extra taps are needed to send an SMS instead.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Galaxy S3, Android 4.4.2, AT&T

TheBriz09

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nope, still waiting!! :-\

Android 4.4.4, Nexus 4, i wireless / T-Mobile.

Hangouts 2.3 is not available for me in the Play Store yet either.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I just returned to the Hangouts app, and, even though it didn't download an update, the missing features mentioned yesterday are now here. You can choose whether to send your text from GV or your SIM number, you can receive your texts in Hangouts. The dialer out works fine - I even went to airplane mode and just turned on WiFi to confirm that VOIP calling is working.

The only remaining problem is that, although GV Voicemail now appears in Hangouts, the voice messages themselves are not loading. The transcription is there but I cannot listen to the message. I'll bet that works soon as well.

franklyray

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I never saw that dialog box to migrate, but I've got the newest version of hangouts and the hangout dialer. With a couple of hours of my life I can never get back, I managed to change the settings in google voice and hangouts to end up with hangouts as my texting app and a combined text inbox for GV and the built in messaging app. But I still cannot figure out how to use hangouts to send a text from my GV number rather than my regular SMS phone number. I also find that when I touch a contact in hangouts, the default is to send a hangouts message, which vanishes in the ether for people not using hangouts. A couple of extra taps are needed to send an SMS instead.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Galaxy S3, Android 4.4.2, AT&T

I only use Google Voice. I don't want to confuse my contacts with my SIM card number on Verizon. I don't see an option (I have 2.3 and dialer).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984