Seeking help/advice on Note 20 phones (very long post warning)

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I don't know how to begin this, but I've been part of these websites for years, going back to my CrackBerry days in the mid-2000s, so I feel hopeful I can get help.

The Pixel 2/2XL phones are reaching end of life status. My wife has the regular and is fine. She's not a spec driven person; I only try to ensure she gets a good battery. She liked the smaller version for her hands. I preferred the XL, with an Otterbox defender case, because I have bigger hands and need that extra bulk of the case it feels comfortable.

I was disappointed the Pixel 5 has no XL version, and I'm not interested in the other Pixel phones. That leads me to why I'm in this forum. Yay, backstory over.

I am looking at phones, and the Samsung Note 20 line stands out the most. Obviously the Ultra for me, and she looked at them and likes the regular. We didn't buy yet for a couple of reasons, one being I wanted to do more research. Another being that it's not like our current phones are dead yet so there's no rush.

Randomly, I have some questions, and if you can lend your collective insight, I'd appreciate it.

1. I haven't owned a Samsung phone since a full QWERTY keyboard phone early last decade. The ecosystem has clearly changed. How does Samsung compare to, say, Google?

2. Obviously technology being three years apart will always favor the new, but what makes these phones so unique compared to the Pixel 2 line, or even the latest Pixels?

3. I am used to a monthly update cycle for the Pixel and getting new OSes pretty quick, given its a Google phone. How is the Android OS updating and such for a third party like Samsung?

4. We are on Verizon, and we have no intentions of switching carriers. All their offers involve getting a new line of service, which doesn't fit us as we've been with Verizon for 15 years and do not wish to change phone numbers (so no "new line/cancel old line" shenanigans.) Do we know of any strong sales offers in the works, especially as some businesses wish to challenge Amazon Prime Day, and/or gear up for a pandemic-stricken Black Friday?

5. What are your real use pros and cons about the phone line, be it the ultra or the regular model?

6. Anything else I need to know?

I sincerely apologize for this massive wall of text, but I really do my homework as I don't swap phones every few months or year, and this is something I keep for quite a while. I want to do it right when I do leap to a new phone.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi there. The Pixel 2 line was fantastic in its day. I still love the 2xl. I loved to a S10+ and I really love it. The Samsung ecosystem is different, but a lot of the features in the latest version of Android are already implemented into the Samsung skin. You get a lot more customisation options with the Samsung over the pixel, as the Good Lock app has plug inside that can do so much extra for your phone.

The cameras are not as good as the Pixel. They are acceptable but not as good. Hands down. Still the Note 20 has produced some gorgeous photos if you look at the thread here

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1008460

One of the best features in the Samsung flagships is called Dex. It allows you to connect wirelessly to a smart TV and has a desktop like environment. It is great for productivity and to watch media on a larger screen.

I suggest reading through some of the threads in the Note 20 forum to gauge how people on here are enjoying their new phones.

Good luck.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
1. Samsung blows Google out of the water, you can still use all the Google apps if you want since it's android but many of Samsungs are better and the software is much more feature packed. Some call it bloat but with the amount of RAM and storage in new phones it really doesn't matter, besides you get much better hardware from the Samsung. Stock Android feels like it's missing so much everytime I use it.

2. Arguably the best camera hardware available on a phone, better camera software, unique features like DeX, miracast support, system wide themes, Bixby, and the S Pen.

3. Next to Google Samsung is probably the best for updates. The major OS updates are significantly slower but it's because Samsung heavily revamps their UI while packing it with many features Google adopts years later and releases it along side their flagship phones. Samsung recently announced 3 years of OS updates and they've provided 4 years of monthly security updates since 2016s S7. From what I've seen on this forum Samsung has actually beaten Google a few times on the security update.

4. Outside of Amazon Prime Day and the holidays there probably won't be any large Verizon deals, I've been with them for years and used to work for them, they tend to provide sales at the same times annually. No need to gear up for a pandemic stricken black Friday either, you can always order online. It also pays to check Samsung directly, I got my Verizon Note 9 and mothers S9 directly from Samsung for less than Verizon was selling them for in 2018 bought online.

5. I've primarily used the Note line since 2012 due to the large screen, S Pen, and great cameras over the years on top of the usual flagship specs.

6. I'm sure a few of our members who have switched between Pixel/Galaxy can chime in.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Monthly updates on Galaxy nowadays and has been for quite awhile. October 5th saw the October security update.

The S20 is very light and easy to hold. It was $200 off just recently on Amazon. I'm sure Samsung would have a two for one, and same goes for carriers.

First phone was Note II with various Blackberry and iphones - usually a Note thrown in there 8/9/20.

For some odd reason this forum got hidden for me even though subscribed. And hope you read thru Note20 Ultra section too.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One thing to suggest to you, Moo Cow. If the S pen isn't important to your wife, check out the recently released S20 FE. I had been leaning heavily toward the basic Note 20 but now have an S20 FE that replaced my Pixel 3 XL. At full price the S20 FE is $300 less than the Note 20 and in some ways is a better phone. It depends on what you prioritize, though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I haven't owned a Samsung phone since a full QWERTY keyboard phone early last decade. The ecosystem has clearly changed. How does Samsung compare to, say, Google?
Google blows Samsung out of the water, when it comes to updating and tech support (and ease of rooting, if you're interested).

3. I am used to a monthly update cycle for the Pixel and getting new OSes pretty quick, given its a Google phone. How is the Android OS updating and such for a third party like Samsung?
Samsung updates regularly but ... the update you get is many months old. (I believe that Samsung, with the Google October update to Android 11 already out, is still updating Android 10.)

Do we know of any strong sales offers in the works, especially as some businesses wish to challenge Amazon Prime Day, and/or gear up for a pandemic-stricken Black Friday?
No news yet on Black Friday, but if you're willing to wait that long, you'll see any by then. (Or by Cyber Monday, if he public stays home in droves on Friday.)

6. Anything else I need to know?
As someone very technically involved, I'm still with my 2. (In an Otterbox it's plenty big enough for me.) I see nothing at all to tempt me to get anything new yet. (I'm running the Pixel 4 Camera app, so I have almost all the latest features.) Maybe the Pixel 6, but nothing in the 3, 4 or 5 tempted me.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank those who have responded. I am still doing research but this helps immensely and gives me many viewpoints to consider.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As Verizon was not giving any good offers, we went to Google Fi to give it a whirl. We can always go back to Verizon if things don't work out.

That will affect our phone situation, but more than likely, we're going with the Samsung phones, unless a Pixel 5 XL variant is released.

I want to again thank everyone for their help.