Differences between screen technologies

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
TFT is a generic term for a screen technology dating back to the 90s (possibly earlier). I don't think I've seen it used to describe a display in a while, most people go with the name of a more specific technology to differentiate themselves.

Super LCD seems to be more of an HTC brand name, probably to compete with Super AMOLED screens from Samsung.

Between something that only says TFT and Super LCD I'd place bets that Super LCD would look better. Between Super LCD and Super AMOLED it's a bit more of a tough call. Realistically, a poor implementation of a good technology won't necessarily outperform a good implementation of an older tech - you'll want to look at the both screens to see which are acceptable. But side-by-side may not be necessary. I've found that in the store I can tell the difference between different TVs easily, but once it's in someone's house they're all mostly the same and the difference between a $2k TV and a $6k TV isn't worthwhile. Add to that the fact that there's a lot more to a phone/tablet than just a screen and I wouldn't worry about the marketing money someone puts into the display tech.

On a side note, there's a smartphone ranking on the linked site above that puts #1 as a dead heat between the X, ThunderBolt, and Evo. The iPhone 4 is way down at 85% below an awful lot of Droids ;)

Reactions: Regulator