Cards unexpectedly removed from Android Pay

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else been seeing this? I got an e-mail today from both cards I had active on Android Pay saying that my cards had been removed. Problem is, I haven't asked them to be removed or formatted my phone or anything.

And yup, I already checked Android Pay and my loyalty cards are there, but not the credit cards. Is there an inactivity period (and if so, where is it stated?!) that Google will take to remove the cards automatically? I haven't used Android Pay in a while (probably since they were giving the figurines away like three months ago), so maybe that's why?

Wolfjt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue. I had a card in Android Pay, I changed phones and tried to add the exact same card, and now it says it's not supported. I checked with the bank and they said it should be. I don't know how to get this fix, I emailed them and of course I get no reply.

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me. I use it whenever and wherever I can. It happened after the day after I updated to Marshmallow.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Ive had this happen several times with my Amex card....super frustrating. The email never give a reason the card was removed either '\_(",)_/'

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmm... weird. Well, I use Samsung Pay now, so I guess it's no big deal. Just wondering why they got removed in the first place. I thought it was because I didn't use it in a while, but it seems others that do use it often have been getting the same message.

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
After several attempts last night...I was finally able to load a card (just one for now to see how long it takes them to email me that it was removed) this morning.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I didn't have issues re-adding my cards to AP, but just found it weird that both cards got removed without me requesting it. Don't remember exactly when I added them in the first place, but I did add both on the same day.

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else been seeing this? I got an e-mail today from both cards I had active on Android Pay saying that my cards had been removed. Problem is, I haven't asked them to be removed or formatted my phone or anything.

And yup, I already checked Android Pay and my loyalty cards are there, but not the credit cards. Is there an inactivity period (and if so, where is it stated?!) that Google will take to remove the cards automatically? I haven't used Android Pay in a while (probably since they were giving the figurines away like three months ago), so maybe that's why?

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. I hadn't used Android Pay since the latest security patch for my OnePlus, and when I went to use it my default card was no longer there and I received an email minutes later from my bank that the card had been removed. I was able to re-add it (and it was already listed as stored in Google Payments, I just had to provide the CVV code), but had already paid for the transaction via debit card.

Very curious.

bksalt

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I had my cards removed 3 times while using the swipe pattern security on my galexy J7, that was a couple of months ago. I changed to the password security on my phone and it has been rock solid since I changed not one problem with cards being removed. Hope this helps some one

Mark Stevens70

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Happened to me. Came here looking for answers. Then realized I had removed my lock screen lock (it was a pattern lock) while messing with my phone (lg V10) last night. Since AP requires a lock, I guess it decided it was no longer secure and removed the card. Glad it did, but wish the app has communicated better, rather than getting a notification from my bank.
So I guess if anything happens that causes AP to question the security of the device, it removes the cards.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
In the meantime, I just got an email from Citicards that my card was removed from Android Pay, but it is still there and looks to be normal, even after a restart. <shrug>
'
EDIT: Maybe they're talking about from my Moto X or even Nexus 7, (can't remember if I added it there during that Best Buy promo)? Current active phone is the HTC 10 and it's still there. Guess I'll check when I get home.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Update on my last post: Got additional notice last night that my AMEX card was removed, but at least the AMEX email mentioned which phone - and it was on my Moto X Pure, not my current daily driver, the HTC 10. So I guess things expire either after a period of non-use, or perhaps not updating the Android Pay app (or maybe lack of general Android security updates) triggers it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it's inactivity that triggers it. I, again, stopped using a card from Android Pay and got the e-mail again. No biggie since you can re-add it, but yeah, for security they do remove cards if you haven't used them.

Yellow-06-GT

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I just had this happen tonight. My AMX, BofA and one of my Wells Fargo cards were removed. I thought it was spam at first, but the emails appeared legit. The cards were still loaded in my Android app though. So, I removed them myself and added them again. So far so good for all but the AMX card. After about 20 minutes, I received an email that is was removed again.

redfantastic

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
I am pretty sure after reading this thread I discovered the reason my cards were suddenly reemoved was changing my security pattern on my phone for unlocking the device. It happened right after I switched from a PIN to a pattern.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure after reading this thread I discovered the reason my cards were suddenly reemoved was changing my security pattern on my phone for unlocking the device. It happened right after I switched from a PIN to a pattern.

I've changed my pattern quite a few times (I grow tired of fingerprint then grow tired of pin and go back and forth) and it doesn't happen. It's only happened when I haven't used the card for a while in my case (or when I get a new plastic from my bank).

kelqwe

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I had this, 2 cards just disappeared by lunchtime despite using them a few hours earlier to buy breakfast. I added them back instantly and all worked again.

I'm on the S7 edge beta so I just thought it was a strange bug, never seen it again.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So is Android Pay dead now? None of my cards, most of which are through major national financial institutions, work with AP any more. If AP no longer sorts any part sources, what's the point? Anyone have an alternative to AP that actually shows you to add pay sources?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So is Android Pay dead now? None of my cards, most of which are through major national financial institutions, work with AP any more. If AP no longer sorts any part sources, what's the point? Anyone have an alternative to AP that actually shows you to add pay sources?

Do you get any kind of error? I've had no issues adding my cards to Android Pay (Citibank, US Bank, American Express, Capital One). Yes, they tend to 'disappear' on their own from lack of use since my main payment form is Samsung Pay, but when I re-add them I've had no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty