Before I encrypt my android 5 device....

anon(8435673)

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
... I have some questions as to how it works. I've spent 30 mins looking for an answer but can't find one.

Can you set it up so that you enter a long password on start up and thereafter use a pattern lock? This would be my preferred method of using encryption.

Can the device be encrypted with only a pattern lock?

Can the method of unlocking (PIN, password, pattern) be changed after you've set it up? Can you move upwards as well as downwards in terms of security when doing this?

Many thanks for your help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you set it up so that you enter a long password on start up and thereafter use a pattern lock?
Maybe by using Tasker. I've never looked at doing it that way, although my phone is completely unlocked (and USB debugging is on) when I'm at certain places and locked (and USB debugging off) anywhere else.

Can the device be encrypted with only a pattern lock?
Is it possible in Android? Yes. Is it implemented by any manufacturer? I don't know - I don't encrypt my devices. (Encryption can be broken - not having sensitive data on the phone can't be.)

Can the method of unlocking (PIN, password, pattern) be changed after you've set it up? Can you move upwards as well as downwards in terms of security when doing this?
Again - Tasker. When I'm out the phone is PIN-protected. When I get home, the lock screen is "none". It could also be Swipe. Away from home could also be Password or Pattern. Tasker triggers on something - in my case an NFC tag hidden behind the paint near the door. That can change the conditions on the phone to just about anything - method of unlocking, wifi and.or mobile data on or off, etc..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87