How can I prevent my screen from waking when receiving notifications?

Matt 5

Jan 15, 2022
Visit site
When no screen lock type is used, the device will wake itself when a notification is recieved, such as when the charger is disconnected, text, etc.

I do not want my phone waking up and all my stuff messed up while inside my pocket. On some android versions there is an option to disable the screen wake for notifications, but not on this one. I don't like using pin codes, swipe, or fingerprint readers. I prefer to keep my phone easy to access and then lock up the important things, like the password manager. I have first found out about this unwanted behavior back in 2015, and 8 years later nothing has changed. Samsung really needs to get their act together.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try going settings>lock screen then edit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630_011015_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_011015_Settings.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230630_011007_Wallpaper and style.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_011007_Wallpaper and style.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 9

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
In Settings > Display > Accidental Touch Protection. Turn that "On". That's supposed to help when you have the phone in your pocket. It senses if it's in a dark place and won't activate the touches.

It's not perfect. I do use a PIN, but I've still had the screen be on something or start typing random characters in an email or text from my pocket. But it is rare. A couple years ago a text went out to my wife who thought I might be having a stroke with the string of random letters that she saw.

Usually it happens if I drop the phone in my pocket forgetting to press the lock button to put it on the AOD screen first - which is my usual habit.

That setting has been there since I started with an S8 five years ago.

Matt 5

Jan 15, 2022
Visit site
In Settings > Display > Accidental Touch Protection. Turn that "On". That's supposed to help when you have the phone in your pocket. It senses if it's in a dark place and won't activate the touches.

It's not perfect. I do use a PIN, but I've still had the screen be on something or start typing random characters in an email or text from my pocket. But it is rare. A couple years ago a text went out to my wife who thought I might be having a stroke with the string of random letters that she saw.

Usually it happens if I drop the phone in my pocket forgetting to press the lock button to put it on the AOD screen first - which is my usual habit.

Thats not the problem. I have tap to wake disabled and use no screen lock, so only the lock button is supposed to unlock the device. Well it doesn't. Notifications wake my device and bring it into the Home screen.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thats not the problem. I have tap to wake disabled and use no screen lock, so only the lock button is supposed to unlock the device. Well it doesn't. Notifications wake my device and bring it into the Home screen.
I don't use tap to wake either.

With no PIN, pressing the lock button simply puts the screen to sleep immediately instead of waiting for the time-out. The accidental touch option is still supposed to work while the phone is in your pocket.

So, you won't even try it?

I mean, it's just a suggestion if you've never tried it.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

I just toggled that setting on today. I hope it helps, since I pocket dialed 911 last Saturday and the Saturday before while I was doing yard work. Nice people, but don't need a weekly call with them. ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another thing to do but go into each individual app by long pressing the said app tap info>notification>turn off for Lock screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630_133019_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_133019_Settings.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 6