Banachpuritanamount browser hijack/redirect

vespesian

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Anyone having problems with this aggressive ad-loop redirect thing? It started a few days ago, from 'legit' sites as varied as Politico to TMZ - it basically takes over your browser with a pop-up asking to take to a site with an HTTP address with "banachpuritanamount" in the title and "ok" at the bottom...I've never pressed "ok", which means it's impossible to continue to browse as it a) prevents from closing it's page or navigating to any other page, and b) renders the back button useless. It's in both the samsung browser and chrome. I've a) de-cached, de-historied, b) factory reset the phone and c) flushed and reset the DNS on my router, as well as updating it's firmware. I'm on a Note7, and am about to receive a replacement in a few days (thank godO:))...but am worried that this is just going to continue with the new phone.

Would using Opera make any difference? Like..wtf...

Thx

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it happen in Safe Mode as well? Also, do you know if the Samsung browser syncs history with Chrome? I'm assuming it doesn't, but just in case, I'd also open your Chrome desktop browser, and clear everything from the beginning of time.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having problems with this aggressive ad-loop redirect thing? It started a few days ago, from 'legit' sites as varied as Politico to TMZ - it basically takes over your browser with a pop-up asking to take to a site with an HTTP address with "banachpuritanamount" in the title and "ok" at the bottom...I've never pressed "ok", which means it's impossible to continue to browse as it a) prevents from closing it's page or navigating to any other page, and b) renders the back button useless. It's in both the samsung browser and chrome. I've a) de-cached, de-historied, b) factory reset the phone and c) flushed and reset the DNS on my router, as well as updating it's firmware. I'm on a Note7, and am about to receive a replacement in a few days (thank godO:))...but am worried that this is just going to continue with the new phone.

Would using Opera make any difference? Like..wtf...

Thx

I might think back to any apps you installed around the same time this started happening. It sounds like you have some malware. If you install the same app, it will likely give you the same problem. Look into it and let us know if you figure it out.

vespesian

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I might think back to any apps you installed around the same time this started happening. It sounds like you have some malware. If you install the same app, it will likely give you the same problem. Look into it and let us know if you figure it out.

Funny thing is, I've only installed a few reputable apps (ie., twitter, blackberry messenger, pinterest), and after I reset my phone, didn't allow either samsung cloud or google drive to restore..I installed from scratch. I've currently turned cookies off, and haven't had a re-occurrence for 3 hours...so here's to hoping.

Pieter Muller

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Same problem for me, on a Nexus 5x, Chrome 52, when reading this site: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/activities/aerial-sports/why-are-so-many-base-jumpers-dying/

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Yep, I have the same problem on my Note3. I did not install any apps. Mine appeared when I was just browsing using Chrome. When eventually I hit the back button, I think it acted like the "ok" button on the pop-up because the phone vibrated and the program appeared to be doing something. I have since deleted files that appear new. It's only Chrome as I can use my other browser without a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I have the same problem on my Note3. I did not install any apps. Mine appeared when I was just browsing using Chrome. When eventually I hit the back button, I think it acted like the "ok" button on the pop-up because the phone vibrated and the program appeared to be doing something. I have since deleted files that appear new. It's only Chrome as I can use my other browser without a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Have you already cleared the Chrome app's cache and data, as well as the entire history and cookies on your desktop Chrome?

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
In the last half hour, and after checking other forums, I cleared the data - I had only cleared the cache previously. Then I did a restart. This has done the trick because although I appear to have lost Chrome, I can use the default browser that comes up when I press the Chrome icon. I expect I could get it back if I knew what the hell I was doing! Don't know where I would be without your help on Android Central :)

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Wait...google syncs your cookies between devices !?!:confused:...I thought it was just bookmarks, locale, usage, etc. - not actual cookies. What a terrible idea.

Don't ask me but I suppose there's no harm in protecting all possible sources from spyware. Nothing much to lose.

Fean0r

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I just found this thread googling for what seems to be same problem on iOS and thought it'd be useful to tell you guys, as it doesn't seem to be platform specific and knowing that could help you out. It's got me quite worried that there's some exploit going on as iOS isn't supposed to be vulnerable to this sort of thing.

Here's screenshots of what I'm seeing:

IMG_3635.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the input! Is that only happening for you within the Facebook app, or also on Safari or other browsers? It still looks like some kind of browser popup.

Roland Kums

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem since a few weeks. It can popup on any site I browse in Chrome. Malwarebytes and Avast Antivirus don't remove it (yet). I would love to see a solution posted here to get rid of this pesky ad pop-up...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You've already cleared the cache/data for Chrome in Settings>App? Or cleared all browsing data by opening Chrome and tapping Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana