Troubleshooting issues with the Sideload Wonder Machine for Windows

li0id

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
When i try to install Sideload Wonder Machine I get (Failure [INSTALL _FAILED_OLDER_SDK) I ran the test path and everything was ok and also ran the test usb driver. Not sure what is wrong. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advanced.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Failure [INSTALL _FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

means you're trying to install an application that's not built for your version of Android. Check minimum requirements of the app.

li0id

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how to find the requirements, but in this thread [APP] z4root - xda-developers is lists my phone (Backflip) as one of the phones that can be rooted using this program. Program being z4root. Any other suggestions you could throw my way or any advice on how i can easily root my backflip?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It allows me to install another app. So what can i do to get this working. I Followed the instruction from your post http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-backflip-rooting-roms-hacks/57221-how-root-your-backflip-easy-way.html. I'm using a backflip with android 1.5. I just cant seem to understand what i'm doing wrong here. Everything is installed and up to date.

Ahhh. I see. Z4root only roots the Backflip AFTER it's been updated to 2.1

Have a look here Motorola Backflip Software Update. Follow the instructions to update your Backflip (that's an official Motorola Page, everything there is trustworthy) then try z4root.

Or since you're not rooted, your AT&T store should be able to update it for you.

dvlish008

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Im trying to use this with the SE x10 and it wont see my device. I could use any help possible. I have it set to charge mode. debugging is on and the drivers are all installed. Help please.

billreed72

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The SWM should work for anyone with Windows XP or higher, and on any phone. Of course issues will come up for some, and that's what this post is here for.

There's a good bit of troubleshooting you can do yourself, and some is built into the latest version of the program. Here's the common issues, and how to fix them.

First, be sure you have the latest version
http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...der-machine-windows-ac_swmv1.1_10_30_beta.zip
This version fixes the path issues users running Windows XP have been seeing

File path errors
The SWM looks for its files and support libraries in specific places. I did it this way, as the only other alternative is writing to the registry. To make sure the program can find the files:
  1. The SWM folder has to be placed on the top level of your C:\ drive. Running it from your downloads folder, or your desktop is not going to work. Unzip the downloaded file, and drag the whole AC_SWM folder over to C:\
  2. Some computers "block" files downloaded from the internet. That's Windows security, and it's a good thing. Right click on each of the files in the AC_SWM folder, and see if there is a button to "unblock" in the properties dialog.
  3. In the program itself, there is a button labeled "Diagnostics". Clicking it will open a new window with two choices -- USB diagnostics and Path diagnostics. Run the path diagnostics and the program will check to see if the right files are in the right places. If you see an error you can't resolve, sing out and we can determine why.

USB, device not found, and device offline errors
The SWM needs a properly functioning adb driver for your phone to work. Adb stands for "Android Debug Bridge" -- it's what takes your keystrokes (or data from a program like the SWM) and converts them into commands that your phone can understand. This isn't a SWM specific issue, all programs that run on your Windows PC and communicate with your phone need this driver installed.

You get this driver from your phone manufacturer. If you're not sure you have the driver for your phone installed, jump into the forum specific for your device and ask around. Remember, you're not the only one looking for the driver, so don't be afraid to ask our in-house device pro's for help if you can't find what you're looking for. If all else fails, look for a thread about rooting your phone in it's hacking forum -- the first step in hacking a phone is getting the driver installed :)

The next thing to check is the way your phone is connected. If you can open the SD card folder to drag and drop files, the SWM isn't going to work. Since there is only one cable to connect, we get a choice of how to use it. Make sure you don't have any mass storage, or USB modem specific settings in use. Usually the setting to only charge your phone is the one you want.

Any application that can set your phone to mass storage automatically can interfere with the SWM. I'm looking at you, doubleTwist and WinAmp. If you're using any app that does this, check your settings to disable it.

USB debugging has to be enabled on your phone. Tap menu>settings>applications>development, then enable USB debugging

Once your sure your driver is installed and the Windows Device Manager shows no errors, USB debugging is enabled, and your phone isn't in mass storage mode you can check your connection and driver status in the program itself. Click the Diagnostics button, then run the USB diagnostics program. A command window will open, a small routine will run, and you'll see your phone serial number if all is good, and you'll see nothing or a series of ???????? is all isn't good. Unless you see your phone serial number, the SWM isn't going to work. If you've done everything you can think of, sing out. We'll get you straight.

.NET 4
Unhandled exceptions when trying to open the program usually mean you don't have Microsoft's .NET v4 framework installed correctly. Download it here:
.NET Framework: Download
and make sure it installs with no errors.

This is a work in progress. more to come
Dude! This is amazing. Thank you so much for making my life w AT&T a little happier place... :cool:

shumu

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The SWM should work for anyone with Windows XP or higher, and on any phone. Of course issues will come up for some, and that's what this post is here for.

There's a good bit of troubleshooting you can do yourself, and some is built into the latest version of the program. Here's the common issues, and how to fix them.

First, be sure you have the latest version
http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...der-machine-windows-ac_swmv1.1_10_30_beta.zip
This version fixes the path issues users running Windows XP have been seeing

File path errors
The SWM looks for its files and support libraries in specific places. I did it this way, as the only other alternative is writing to the registry. To make sure the program can find the files:
  1. The SWM folder has to be placed on the top level of your C:\ drive. Running it from your downloads folder, or your desktop is not going to work. Unzip the downloaded file, and drag the whole AC_SWM folder over to C:\
  2. Some computers "block" files downloaded from the internet. That's Windows security, and it's a good thing. Right click on each of the files in the AC_SWM folder, and see if there is a button to "unblock" in the properties dialog.
  3. In the program itself, there is a button labeled "Diagnostics". Clicking it will open a new window with two choices -- USB diagnostics and Path diagnostics. Run the path diagnostics and the program will check to see if the right files are in the right places. If you see an error you can't resolve, sing out and we can determine why.

USB, device not found, and device offline errors
The SWM needs a properly functioning adb driver for your phone to work. Adb stands for "Android Debug Bridge" -- it's what takes your keystrokes (or data from a program like the SWM) and converts them into commands that your phone can understand. This isn't a SWM specific issue, all programs that run on your Windows PC and communicate with your phone need this driver installed.

You get this driver from your phone manufacturer. If you're not sure you have the driver for your phone installed, jump into the forum specific for your device and ask around. Remember, you're not the only one looking for the driver, so don't be afraid to ask our in-house device pro's for help if you can't find what you're looking for. If all else fails, look for a thread about rooting your phone in it's hacking forum -- the first step in hacking a phone is getting the driver installed :)

The next thing to check is the way your phone is connected. If you can open the SD card folder to drag and drop files, the SWM isn't going to work. Since there is only one cable to connect, we get a choice of how to use it. Make sure you don't have any mass storage, or USB modem specific settings in use. Usually the setting to only charge your phone is the one you want.

Any application that can set your phone to mass storage automatically can interfere with the SWM. I'm looking at you, doubleTwist and WinAmp. If you're using any app that does this, check your settings to disable it.

USB debugging has to be enabled on your phone. Tap menu>settings>applications>development, then enable USB debugging

Once your sure your driver is installed and the Windows Device Manager shows no errors, USB debugging is enabled, and your phone isn't in mass storage mode you can check your connection and driver status in the program itself. Click the Diagnostics button, then run the USB diagnostics program. A command window will open, a small routine will run, and you'll see your phone serial number if all is good, and you'll see nothing or a series of ???????? is all isn't good. Unless you see your phone serial number, the SWM isn't going to work. If you've done everything you can think of, sing out. We'll get you straight.

.NET 4
Unhandled exceptions when trying to open the program usually mean you don't have Microsoft's .NET v4 framework installed correctly. Download it here:
.NET Framework: Download
and make sure it installs with no errors.

This is a work in progress. more to come
Thanks!