Troubleshooting issues with the Sideload Wonder Machine for Windows

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The SWM should work for anyone with Windows XP or higher, and on any phone. Of course issues will come up for some, and that's what this post is here for.

There's a good bit of troubleshooting you can do yourself, and some is built into the latest version of the program. Here's the common issues, and how to fix them.

First, be sure you have the latest version
http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...der-machine-windows-ac_swmv1.1_10_30_beta.zip
This version fixes the path issues users running Windows XP have been seeing

File path errors
The SWM looks for its files and support libraries in specific places. I did it this way, as the only other alternative is writing to the registry. To make sure the program can find the files:
  1. The SWM folder has to be placed on the top level of your C:\ drive. Running it from your downloads folder, or your desktop is not going to work. Unzip the downloaded file, and drag the whole AC_SWM folder over to C:\
  2. Some computers "block" files downloaded from the internet. That's Windows security, and it's a good thing. Right click on each of the files in the AC_SWM folder, and see if there is a button to "unblock" in the properties dialog.
  3. In the program itself, there is a button labeled "Diagnostics". Clicking it will open a new window with two choices -- USB diagnostics and Path diagnostics. Run the path diagnostics and the program will check to see if the right files are in the right places. If you see an error you can't resolve, sing out and we can determine why.

USB, device not found, and device offline errors
The SWM needs a properly functioning adb driver for your phone to work. Adb stands for "Android Debug Bridge" -- it's what takes your keystrokes (or data from a program like the SWM) and converts them into commands that your phone can understand. This isn't a SWM specific issue, all programs that run on your Windows PC and communicate with your phone need this driver installed.

You get this driver from your phone manufacturer. If you're not sure you have the driver for your phone installed, jump into the forum specific for your device and ask around. Remember, you're not the only one looking for the driver, so don't be afraid to ask our in-house device pro's for help if you can't find what you're looking for. If all else fails, look for a thread about rooting your phone in it's hacking forum -- the first step in hacking a phone is getting the driver installed :)

The next thing to check is the way your phone is connected. If you can open the SD card folder to drag and drop files, the SWM isn't going to work. Since there is only one cable to connect, we get a choice of how to use it. Make sure you don't have any mass storage, or USB modem specific settings in use. Usually the setting to only charge your phone is the one you want.

Any application that can set your phone to mass storage automatically can interfere with the SWM. I'm looking at you, doubleTwist and WinAmp. If you're using any app that does this, check your settings to disable it.

USB debugging has to be enabled on your phone. Tap menu>settings>applications>development, then enable USB debugging

Once your sure your driver is installed and the Windows Device Manager shows no errors, USB debugging is enabled, and your phone isn't in mass storage mode you can check your connection and driver status in the program itself. Click the Diagnostics button, then run the USB diagnostics program. A command window will open, a small routine will run, and you'll see your phone serial number if all is good, and you'll see nothing or a series of ???????? is all isn't good. Unless you see your phone serial number, the SWM isn't going to work. If you've done everything you can think of, sing out. We'll get you straight.

.NET 4
Unhandled exceptions when trying to open the program usually mean you don't have Microsoft's .NET v4 framework installed correctly. Download it here:
.NET Framework: Download
and make sure it installs with no errors.

This is a work in progress. more to come

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
so I did all of this but the program says that it can't find a payload to install.

Let's fix it.

Make sure you have the latest version. Hit the about button in the program -- you're looking for the words BETA_BUILD 1.1_10_30 in orange lettering, in the upper right of the window. If they aren't there, hit the download link above.

Open the app, and press the diagnostics button, then the black folder button to check the file paths. See what it tells you.

nehaR

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the latest version, but i cant even get to the about button because every time I try to open it it say that the application failed to initialize properly.

pwnee

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else seen this error or have any ideas?

I'm running SWM on a Windows 7 64-bit PC.
Phone:Captivate
Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I897UCJH7
Kernel version:2.6.29chshrcat@alice#315
Build number: ECLAIR.UCJH7
Has root: Yes

After it says installing application I get this error:

/sbin/sh: pm: not found

788Dm.png

Another user experienced it here:
[Q] pm not found /sbin/sh - xda-developers

Using 1.1 Beta build 10_30 which passed both drivers and path test...

Last edited:

pwnee

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wellp after a lot of searching it seems to me like the problem lies with BusyBox. I say that because I've installed the SDK for Android and when I go into adb shell and type in sh pm, I get that same error

"sh: Can't open pm"

This makes it seem like wherever the adb is starting from is actually incorrect--what I mean by that is when I drill down to /system/bin and run that command: sh pm-- it works just fine.

Does that make sense or am I just going crazy? Any ideas on how to reset the adb shell to go to /system/bin instead of wherever it goes because of busybox? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Your system (on the phone) isn;t seeing /system/bin/pm as a script. How it happened, I have no idea. But I know (probably) how to fix it since you're rooted.

Free way
Code:
adb pull /system/bin/pm C:\wherever\you\want\to\save\it.
adb pull /system/bin/am C:\wherever\you\want\to\save\it.

Use a unix file editor (notepad ++ is a good one if you don't have a favorite) windows notepad will NOT work.

Open the files and make sure the first line is
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
of both files.

Mount your system R/W and push the files back to /system/bin/

Easy way
Download root explorer from market (couple 4? bucks)
Open it, and navigate to /system/bin
long press on the file pm and choose to edit as text
Check the first line like above, make changes if needed.
Do the same for the am file

If this doesn't work, we'll try more.

Reactions: smrtazz03 and pwnee

pwnee

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well that seems to have done the trick. I ended up getting a bunch of permission denied errors when I tried to push back the changes so I just bought root explorer out of frustration. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. Any idea as to what happened or what could have caused this? Should that line

#!/system/bin/sh

have been in the pm and am files already? Any idea whether or not busybox is responsible?

Either way thanks for your help and now I can sideload both ways!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Awesome! Glad it worked. How it happened is a mystery lol. It had to be something during the rooting process that overwrote the system/bin/ap - pm files, cause they should have had the shebang in them already.

pwnee

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Weird, I used the one click root for Samsung Galaxy S which makes me think that I shouldn't be the only one experiencing this...

Either way I really appreciate your help and your work on the SWM, it's an awesome program.

ntdolores

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Not so fast...

Hi!

First, let me say thank you for providing the application in the first place. I am truly grateful as my main goal was to install an application WITHOUT rooting the phone.

However, I wanted to point out that your advice regarding the beta version might not stand true for all users/systems. As the other poster said, in my case it gave an error, about not finding the payload to install.

I am using Windows Vista 64-bit system and I was trying to sideload on a Samsung Captivate. The beta version did not work. However, THE ORIGINAL, truly wonderful Sideload Wonder Machine did!!! So please keep that version on the site along with the beta one.

Thank you!!!!

peurocs4

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Have 'loader.bat' problem.

Why do I have:

:eek: 'loader.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. :eek:

Notice, and not working at all?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

First, let me say thank you for providing the application in the first place. I am truly grateful as my main goal was to install an application WITHOUT rooting the phone.

However, I wanted to point out that your advice regarding the beta version might not stand true for all users/systems. As the other poster said, in my case it gave an error, about not finding the payload to install.

I am using Windows Vista 64-bit system and I was trying to sideload on a Samsung Captivate. The beta version did not work. However, THE ORIGINAL, truly wonderful Sideload Wonder Machine did!!! So please keep that version on the site along with the beta one.

Thank you!!!!

Why do I have:

:eek: 'loader.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. :eek:

Notice, and not working at all?

My guess is you both do not have the files in the correct place. Check the file/path diagnostics tool, and provide the output.

AmsDiane

Oct 7, 2010
amsdiane.blogspot.com
Put the *.apk in the same folder as all the SWM files

I'm not 100% sure my experience below is applicable here, but you might want to try reading through my post at http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-captivate/23945-non-root-sideloading-fix-post383071.html

I got many of the same errors as some of you mentioned and I got SWM to work after making sure the *.apk file was in the same folder as all of the other SWM files. I discussed all of the other errors I encountered, too, and how I fixed those. Good luck!

-- AmsDiane

hevangel

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the wonderful apps. I have a Galaxy S Captivate. The original version works the wonder, but the beta version does not work. The beta version somehow stuck at the upload screen.

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok trying to sideload the newest audible beta and getting ' adb' is not recognized as a external or internal command error uhm HELP :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7