Troubleshooting issues with the Sideload Wonder Machine for Windows

lizagirl5

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Let's fix it.

Make sure you have the latest version. Hit the about button in the program -- you're looking for the words BETA_BUILD 1.1_10_30 in orange lettering, in the upper right of the window. If they aren't there, hit the download link above.

Open the app, and press the diagnostics button, then the black folder button to check the file paths. See what it tells you.
I went through this process 100 times making sure I had everything where is should be and got the "no payload" error every time. When I hit diagnostic in the program- it simply said no payload installed. Just as a last ditch effort, I just created a new folder called payload in the AC_SWM folder and it actually worked perfectly. if that helps. awesome awesome awesome program! Thanks!

frogman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Device Offline Errors

Please help. So I downloaded the Samsung captivate driver from Samsung's Software page (The driver is called "SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip".). After installing my phone appears in the Device Manager as "ADB Interface > SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface" and I am able to connect my phone and once I mount my phone, I can move items via Mass Storage just fine. It does mount 2. So the phone is being recognized by the computer and everything appears fine here.

Next I downloaded the file "AC-SWM-v1.0.zip" and extracted the files to my desktop and place it in the C drive.

I setup my phone with the following settings:
1.Applications - Development - USB debugging
2.Application > USB Setting - Mass Storage
3.I plugged in my phone via the USB cable. Phone was detected and connected.
4.I then double-click on "AndroidCentral-SWN.exe"
5.I found my .apk files and hit the Install button.
6.The message I get is the following:

List of devices attached
I89786099b38 Offline

What am I doing wrong and why my device is offline? Thank you

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, and thank you to the excellent developers of this program. Using the steps outlined earlier in this thread, as well as the original thread introducing the SWM, I thought I was finally stumped with a computer device. Then I ran across the lady with the paths issue, which helped me greatly. But still no go. Then I did something seemingly irrelevant and simple, and eureka, sideloading apps with no problem.

What did I do? I insured all my apk files were in the SWM folder, then I simply went to the huge effort of plugging my USB cable into the back USB ports on my PC, and yep, that is when the loading occurred. I remember someone else mentioning this earlier, and it was that simple for me too. If your paths are correct, go to the trouble to plug the USB cable into your PC's motherboard USB ports, because for some unknown reason, it does make a difference. That difference for me was the ability to actually sideload versus not. Can someone with more skill than I shed some light on exactly why this made such a huge difference, front USB ports versus rear motherboard ports please?

I hope this helps someone avoid the hours of aggravation I had getting it to work correctly. But I've usually found that many hours of aggravation are solved by something very simple. That's why I love computers and all OS's, they are a great challenge when something you know should work refuses to do so.

Again, thank you to the developers of this excellent software. And AT&T, as much as I love them, need to stop locking down OUR devices. We pay the high bills for our toys, they should let us have the option to use them as we want and it was designed for without rooting it for God's sake.

xperiaz

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
First off, anyone looking for the Xperia x10 drivers, I found them here:

Sony Ericsson - Developer World - Downloads - Download - Dw-x10drivers

Thing is, I first installed the drivers from SEUS, and now whenever I plug my Xperia X10 into the USB port, it only ever gets recognized as a SE Mass Storage Device. I've uninstalled it from device manager, restarted the computer, and it gets recogized all over again as SE Mass Storage Device.

When I try to update the driver, it says it cant find a better driver than the one I already have.

Please Help!!

Thanx in advance!!

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
First off, anyone looking for the Xperia x10 drivers, I found them here:

Sony Ericsson - Developer World - Downloads - Download - Dw-x10drivers

Thing is, I first installed the drivers from SEUS, and now whenever I plug my Xperia X10 into the USB port, it only ever gets recognized as a SE Mass Storage Device. I've uninstalled it from device manager, restarted the computer, and it gets recogized all over again as SE Mass Storage Device.

When I try to update the driver, it says it cant find a better driver than the one I already have.

Please Help!!

Thanx in advance!!

When you say you uninstalled it, do you mean the device or drivers please? Have you tried uninstalling just the drivers for the Xperia? If not, try that and then reboot. When rebooting, have the Xperia disconnected from the computer, then once booted up attach the Xperia and point the driver install utility to the drivers you downloaded from SEUS and have it install them. Hopefully, that should take care of that problem. I say hopefully because Windows is a pain when it comes to drivers, the OS thinks it knows best, even though you know you want these alternate drivers.

As far as the mass storage problem, I can only think you may have it enabled on the Xperia and/or USB debugging isn't checked within Android (Settings/Applications/Development/USB debugging)? I'm not much help in this area, sorry. I can't even locate USB mass storage settings on my Captivate, still not as used to it as my old BB Curve.

Good luck and let us know how it goes please, and hopefully someone with more expertise than I will teach us both something.

Last edited:

xperiaz

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do have USB debugging enabled on the phone. (AT&T Xperia X10)

When I say uninstalled, I mean from device manager. I delete SEMC Mass Storage Device from Device Manager, restart and the cycle repeats.

I restart computer, plug in Xperia phone with USB debugging enabled, and Windows (I'm running WinXp 32-bit) AUTOMATICALLY installs the drivers for my phone and it instantly gets recognized as a SEMC Mass Storage Device. I dont get any option for anything when I plug it in. And BTW, I AM using a port in the rear of my computer.

What happens is I start SWM inside of its folder, on the root of C: drive. I do a path diagnostic check and it checks fine, but the USB diagnostic fails. And if I just go ahead and run the program, no serial number shows up so I cant proceed any further from there.

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like one of the problems I encountered too. I think you'll have to wait on bill or someone else to help you here, because it could be just about anything. And its probably something very simple. Luckily for me, it was making sure my apk files were in the SWM folder and connecting the USB cable to my rear ports. I did a test just to confirm the rear vs front ports on my PC, and sure enough, front ports get me nowhere, but rear ports let me load to my hearts content.
Sorry I was no help, but keep trying because you will finally get it with help here and trial and error.

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You probably read my posts since we have the same phone. If not, follow the SWM setup to the letter, then start trying little things. The wonderdul lady who figured out the paths issue saved the day for me. After reading her post, I made sure my apk files were within the SWM folder on the root C drive and then connected my USB cable to the rear ports on my PC, and those 2 simple things ended hours of failure for me. You could double check those 2 things. Hope that helps.

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
This is wierd I know it worked before here is the error message details. I was trying to do the diagnostics to make sure it saw everything and this is what happens. Still getting the no space on phone error on my other pc. Phone has 10gig free and memory card has 13gig free

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at AC_SWM.frmDiag.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AC_SWM
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/AC_SWM/AC_SWM/AC_SWM.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

dmau5

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
not working.

the thing is not recognizing that my phone is plugged in. My computer does but the swm doesnt. any suggestions?

xperiaz

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Holy smokes I got it to work!!

Here's what I did:

-With Xperia x10 UNPLUGGED,
-Went into Device Manager
-Clicked on VIEW, clicked on SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES
-Highlighted SEMC Mass Storage Device, clicked DELETE

-Hooked up Xperia x10 to USB cable
-FINALLY GOT THE OPTION TO CHOOSE MY DRIVERS AT THIS POINT!! (YAY!)
-Directed Device Manager to x10a drivers I downloaded here.
-Computer installed Sony Ericsson sa0101, underneath it said Sony Ericsson sa0101 ADB Interface Driver
-Computer also installed SEMC Mass Storage Device AGAIN, but I clicked on and DISABLED IT
-Went into SWM, ran and passed all diagnostics
-Tried to install Backup and Restore apk by Sony Ericsson, got a No Free Space error
-Long story short, I opened a DOS prompt, navigated to c:\AC_SWM
-Changed the name of Backup and Restore.apk to bakup.apk and copied it INTO AC_SWM folder, NOT PAYLOAD folder
-Typed in this command: adb install bakup.apk
-SUCCESS!!
-Went to Applications on my phone, and its there!!

HOPE THAT HELPS!!

(SORRY GB, EDITED OUT MY ORIGINAL TEXT)

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is wierd I know it worked before here is the error message details. I was trying to do the diagnostics to make sure it saw everything and this is what happens. Still getting the no space on phone error on my other pc. Phone has 10gig free and memory card has 13gig free
<snip>.

Captivate?

Your second error is a .NET4 issue with your PC. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET4 (per Microsoft).

The first issue just happens sometimes. I can't recreate it, and 9 times out of 10 it's on a Captivate. Dig through the download thread, some have found a work around.

Methinks ever1 is on vacation still??

PC still doesnt recognize phone when hooked up in USB debug mode =(
Busy with CES. Everyone with connection errors, please please please read the first posts in this thread. Everything you need to know is in there.

xperiaz

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone with connection errors, please please please read the first posts in this thread. Everything you need to know is in there.

Bro, you didn't bother to read my previous posts detailing my exact problem. It's not like I just plugged it in and started complaining when it didn't work. I'm not going to rehash what I already explained before - it's moot anyway. All I can say is 'Thanks' for any help you would have given, if not for being so busy.

One thing I realized, is I actually sideloaded apps without Sideload Wonder Machine. All you really need is the ADB.exe (Android Debug Bridge) and the proper drivers for your phone, and you can do it EASILY in a DOS prompt. :cool:

mherron54

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Trying to get it rolling on a mac and keep getting errors.

Phone is rooted.

type bash menu.sh
Select 1 - push app to phone
finds my apk file

says
Pushing to phone...
sudo: ./adb: command not found
Pushed! You may need to reboot your phone to see the change.

When I reboot, I see nothing.

Then I tried 21 for the rooted phone

I get Remounting /system to allow pushing of the app...

Did you get the message 'Remount Succeeded' above? (y or n)

I click N because I didn't get that message

Then I see

Please reboot into recovery mode and try again. echo Press enter when you are in recovery. read enterKey
Pushing to system...

Pushed! Thanks for using Sideload Wonder Machine.

NO matter what I do, I can't seem to get it working.

Thanks

zacharid

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I downloaded the drivers .net 4 and I got SWM to work once, I have an xperia x10. I can't figure out why it only worked once tho and wont work again.

Tony.Booth.nz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have triad all of the above to no avail. When I click on "GO" nothing happens -zero zilch nada. Running Windows 7 and trying to load to an HTC Desire. Any suggestions?
TonyB

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I can not help get the drivers for each particular phone installed. That is a Windows issue. Many device manufacturers (Sony Ericsson, Samsung) make this very difficult for the average user, and I feel your pain. To correct USB driver issues, you will need to contact your device manufacturer for installation help, or ask in the correct device section here in the forums.

I can say that if you use an HTC device, installing HTC sync will install your drivers correctly. If you use a Nexus One, or a Nexus S, you will need to download your drivers from here and follow the installation procedure.

If your drivers are installed correctly, the diagnostic tool will connect, and show your phone's software serial number. If this doesn't happen, it's because the drivers are not installed correctly. All this part of the application does is connect to the driver, and it's a yes/no situation -- as long as the USB diagnostic runs, the rest is up to your USB driver.

@mherron54 -- sorry, but the Mac version was not written by me. I don't program for, or troubleshoot issues with a Mac. My advice? Check and make sure you have the latest version of Sun Java installed (you probably do), download the Android SDK, install the tools from the SDK manager once downloaded, then from the terminal:
Code:
<path-to-sdk>\tools\adb install <path\to\filename.apk>
For Mac and Linux, it's actually easier to just use the SDK and the terminal on your computer.

@zacharid, @Tony.Booth.nz -- please run the diagnostic tools and let me know the output of each.

Rockyusa

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
gives error of not enough memory

I have done communication test and all looks good. when I try to install the ap I receive error not enough memory to complete the install. working on samsung captivate. any ideias on how to work around this? It appears like ATT has set some limit on what can be on the phone. Help please I was installing adobe flash for android 2.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe