Sideloading apps via the terminal using Ubuntu Maverick

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the easiest way to sideload apps on a blocked phone (AT&T) using Ubuntu Maverick. The commands given are specific to Ubuntu 10.10, but could be adapted to any Linux install.

Download and extract the Linux version of the Android SDK http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r08-linux_86.tgz Open it, and drag the folder into your home folder.

If you're using a 64 bit install of Maverick, you need some 32 bit libs and headers. From the terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Next, you need Sun Java. Again from the term:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sun-java-community-team/sun-java6
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

open the sdk/tools folder, and start the sdk manager. From the term (I love the terminal)
Code:
cd ~/android-sdk-linux_86/tools/
./android

On the left, choose Available packages.
Check the box that says Android Repository, then choose to install selected.
Choose Accept all and Install

This will install everything needed, as well as what you would need if you ever decide to try some programming via Eclipse.

To sideload an app:
Note -- this is generic, and will work for any phone. If you're feeling froggy, you can set up udev so that adb can run as a normal user. this way has an extra step, but is less confusing :)

Place the .apk file in the ~/android-sdk-linux_86/platform-tools/ folder
Make sure USB debugging is enabled on your phone (menu>settings>applications>development>usb debugging)
Plug your phone into a high speed USB port, and not through a hub
Open the terminal and:
Code:
sudo su
password
cd /home/<your user name>/android-sdk-linux_86/platform-tools
./adb kill-server
./adb start-server
exit
./adb install <name of the .apk file>

once you've verified that it installs, delete the .apk file from the platform-tools folder so you're ready for the next one.

protip: to upgrade an apk that's already installed:
Place the .apk file in the ~/android-sdk-linux_86/platform-tools/ folder
Make sure USB debugging is enabled on your phone (menu>settings>applications>development>usb debugging)
Plug your phone into a high speed USB port, and not through a hub
Open the terminal and:
Code:
sudo su
password
./adb kill-server
./adb start-server
exit
./adb install -r <name of the .apk file>

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Login fail! lol

I'll be adding the method to take screenshots sometime soon. If you use Linux, you might as well get the SDK installed and use it for everything :)

Last edited:

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I am going to try it now. I just installed ubuntu and the sdk on my cr48. do I need to do anything special to get the ADB working? if you need help doing this tutorials please let me know. I am noob on linux but I am trying to learn as much as possible.

thank you for the guide.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Hey Jerry,
Thanks again...this helped alot (brand new to Linux) and im ready to learn more :)
I was wondering if you could give some tips on setting up the eclipse on maverick or post some links to good guides?
Thanks!

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
follow this link to installed eclipse,

How-to-install-Android-SDK - programmersbook

I just recently installed ubuntu on my netbook.
The next thing, I am looking for information is adb installation on ubunu.

I too have Ubuntu on my CR-48. lol its pretty cool. thanks again for the link...

Btw do you know which version of eclipse to download? and isnt this setting up adb^^^

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I too have Ubuntu on my CR-48. lol its pretty cool. thanks again for the link...

Btw do you know which version of eclipse to download? and isnt this setting up adb^^^

Is you have 10.10 installed:
Code:
sudo apt-get install eclipse
Gets you 3.5.2, which works well :)

And yes, the above gets up and adb running

Reactions: enzofall

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
@jerry
I wasn't sure about the adb, there is a lot of information and everything conflicts with each other. would it be possible to start a separete forum for linux relate things. That way people can post questions and tutorials. A trusted place so noobs like me can learn. I am sure a couple of more people would love to have a linux section on AC.

thanks

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks jerry i got it up and running. Just go to learn how to use it! ;)

Good Morning,

I was going to try to learn eclipse by doing an ADW Theme.
this link gives directions on how to do one

https://github.com/AnderWeb/ADW.Theme-Template

I figure the best way of learning it is by using it. If you are going to try it. Let me know, so we can help each other.

On a CR48 relate question, which method did you used to installed Ubuntu on it? dual boot or Luigi?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
@jerry
I wasn't sure about the adb, there is a lot of information and everything conflicts with each other. would it be possible to start a separete forum for linux relate things. That way people can post questions and tutorials. A trusted place so noobs like me can learn. I am sure a couple of more people would love to have a linux section on AC.

thanks

It's been talked about. Posts like this one are helping gauge interest and need :)

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
@jerry

thanks

+1, Yea a forum for Linux+Android tips/guides would be great!

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Good Morning,

I was going to try to learn eclipse by doing an ADW Theme.
this link gives directions on how to do one

https://github.com/AnderWeb/ADW.Theme-Template

I figure the best way of learning it is by using it. If you are going to try it. Let me know, so we can help each other.

On a CR48 relate question, which method did you used to installed Ubuntu on it? dual boot or Luigi?

I used this method for dual-boot, Easy way to install Ubuntu on the Cr-48

Yea and ill try out that adw themeing, looks like a great way to learn how to use eclipse!

Message me if you have any problems or want to give me tips, so we can help each other.

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I used this method for dual-boot, Easy way to install Ubuntu on the Cr-48

Yea and ill try out that adw themeing, looks like a great way to learn how to use eclipse!

Message me if you have any problems or want to give me tips, so we can help each other.

I'm reading the guide tonite, I am following on twitter Ubuntu_OS, it provides a lot of useful information. I used the same method to installed ubuntu, There is another method call Luigi but it seems more complicated.

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
how to install apk manager on ubuntu, the creator of the guide is dully 79, I just added step 7.5 to make it work.

1-Download, create a folder in your sdk called "am" and extract into it.
2-Goto the the "sdk/am" folder and rename "Script.sh" to "script.sh".
3-Go into the "other" folder, right click on one file at a time, goto "permissions" in the new window and check the execute box.(do this with all the files)
4-To add the path to your folder open up a terminal and type in -
sudo su
PATH=$PATH:/THE PATH TO YOUR "SCRIPT.SH"
(for me this looks like the following)
PATH=$PATH:/sdk/am/other/
5-export PATH
6-install "sox"
7-Type into the terminal "cd PATH TO YOUR SCRIPT.SH"
7.5 export PATH={PATH}:/PATH TO Your SDK/sdk/platform-tools/adb
8-Type "./script.sh"
9-You should have a running Apk-manager.

how to install sox:
Click system>administration>synaptic package manager
Goto the search bar and type in "sox"
Right click on "sox" and select "mark for install"
Click apply.

I hope this help, i got it semi working but there are a lot more things that I need to learn.
If you get stuck in any step let me know, I will help you as much as I can.
when you get it working let me know, I have a couple of questions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante