Disabling pop up notifications

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are like me and dislike the pop up notifications, you can turn them off. However, the only way I know how to truly turn them off (there is a setting that claims to turn them off, but it never works for me) is via ADB.

ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is a way to interface with your android device via a PC (I think MAC can as well, I just never dug into it)

In order to turn these off you need to do the following:

-Install Android ADB (plenty of Youtube videos about it. There is a minimal ADB floating around somewhere. If I can find what I used, I will share it.)

-[Optional] You may want to alter the Path for ADB. this way when you open a command prompt/PowerShell, you don't have to navigate to the correct folder, you can just enter the command anywhere.

- Enabled developer options and turned on USB Debugging.

Once that is all done, it's best to check if everything is working by entering this command: adb devices. This will show what devices are connected.

adb.png

If there is a problem with the connection the screen would say List of devices attached and then have a blank line. This is an underrated step in my opinion. Because of the way that ADB operates, when you enter the command to remove pop up notifications, it just creates another command line. That, and it's best to figure out if your PC is communicating with your phone before you start entering ADB commands.

Once you have everything set up, you can enter this command:
adb shell settings put global_heads_up_notifications_enabled 0

and hit enter.

Things to note:

The underscores are required. Typos cause the command to fail

In regard to the Path: Like I said, it's optional, but if you choose not to do it, You need to navigate to the folder that ADB is in. For example, mine is on the C: drive, but if I didn't alter my path, I would have to enter the path (cd\adb\platform-tools) every time from the root directory (cd\). With the Path altered, I can just fire up Powershell, and enter adb devices, and then the pop up notifications command and I am done.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Subsequent post: Here is the minimal ADB that I used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790/

I will try to find a tutorial for changing your path.

Edit: here is a pretty good set of instructions for the Path: https://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378

The minimal ADB is good enough if you just want to change settings via ADB. However, if you are interested even a little in development, you can download Android Studio from Google.