Do you think manufactures will skin Android Wear?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Google is very open, so I don't think they'll be against it. I'm sure companies will try to apply some sort of skin to it. If they do, I hope it's light. I don't know if smartwatches will come with Snapdragon 801 processors with 3 GB of ram. ;)

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If Android Wear is an open platform like Android, I think that yes, we'll see "skins".

1966cah

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely they will "skin" it. No matter how wedded some of us are to a "stock" experience, there are few points where any manufacturer can set themselves apart from the herd, hardware, price & availability, and software.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
i agree, i think this is one of those times that Google should not let them skin it.

I just see OEM's piling tons of useless crap on them and ruining the experience.

I feel they can do a lot to differentiate with hardware, straps, faces and other things that wouldn't result in a ruined and overly themed ui.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If Android Wear is an open platform like Android, I think that yes, we'll see "skins".

Absolutely they will "skin" it. No matter how wedded some of us are to a "stock" experience, there are few points where any manufacturer can set themselves apart from the herd, hardware, price & availability, and software.

OEM skins are part of the android ecosystem. OEM skin are what brought android to mass consumer appeal. Samsung is Google's top Android mobile manufacturers because of the mass consumer following that came from Touchwiz.

I agree with 1966 and that diversity is the key component to androids success. Their has been a diversity in hardware as well as software if android is going to grow. Stock android on all oem partners different hardware watches would give you "Window Phones Complex". With Windows phones you have same experience across board but only have couple phones that are decent success. Then the rest are failures that begs question why some many options for same experience?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer to see skins for Android Wear — not because I have anything against the vision that Google unveiled, but because given the history of Android, its OEMs, and their skins, I would (optimistically) assume that any OEM given a chance to develop a skin for a new platform would come up with something much better than what we saw in the early days of Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc.

Fresh start and whatnot...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I would prefer to see skins for Android Wear — not because I have anything against the vision that Google unveiled, but because given the history of Android, its OEMs, and their skins, I would (optimistically) assume that any OEM given a chance to develop a skin for a new platform would come up with something much better than what we saw in the early days of Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc.

Fresh start and whatnot...

More is better. :p

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think skins should be optional.
How about 2 modes:
  • Minimal: gives you a watch face & text/email/call notifications - that's it
  • Full: skins, screensavers, apps, etc

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think skins should be optional.
How about 2 modes:
  • Minimal: gives you a watch face & text/email/call notifications - that's it
  • Full: skins, screensavers, apps, etc

You might be on to something. Like a UI On and Off switch?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

GIkari

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I just see OEM's piling tons of useless crap on them and ruining the experience.

I feel they can do a lot to differentiate with hardware, straps, faces and other things that wouldn't result in a ruined and overly themed ui.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

This is what worries me as well, just use the hardware to differentiate and be done with it. I don't mind a few changes to the look and feel, but manufacturers seem to not know when to stop when doing that.

Posted via Android Central App

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it would be skinned the same way Android is. Android Wear is essentially Google Now on wearables. And Google Now is not open source.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JAStark27

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Because it uses a lot of Google now which cant be skinned I don't see them allowing skins. Now the watch part of it sure I could see that as well as apps that say Samsung Motorola or lg want I could see themed with there taste but android wear seems to be heavily Google now based with also apps being used.

Posted via Android Central App

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google will let OEMs mess with wear too much if at all. At least with this first wave of devices. They're reference devices for the most part if I'm not mistaken. Just like nexus devices.