Is there an Android Wear for a small wrist?

Aeyoun

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Android Wear for a small wrist

I’ve got a small wrist. Not sure how to measure it in watch-terms, but here we go: 15 centimeters diameter and “top surface”/main watch rest of just 4,8 centimeters.

Are there any Android Wear watches for small wrists yet? The LG Watch R is the only watch I’ve found on display in a local store. Its pretty big and uncomfortable to wear.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Wear for a small wrist

Welcome to Android Central! No, they're all pretty big at this point, which is the main thing that prevents me from getting one. The Asus Zen Watch might be something to consider, because it has a slight curve to it, and therefore doesn't look quite as massive, in my opinion--at least in pictures. I haven't had a chance to try one of those on yet.

Personally, I think the Pebble Steel is the right size for me. Will be interested to see how the Pebble Steel Time compares in real life.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

I’ve got a small wrist. Not sure how to measure it in watch-terms, but here we go: 15 centimeters diameter and “top surface”/main watch rest of just 4,8 centimeters.

Are there any Android Wear watches for small wrists yet? The LG Watch R is the only watch I’ve found on display in a local store. Its pretty big and uncomfortable to wear.
I actually have the same exact wrist size as you (15 cm in diameter... Even tho a wrist is not a perfect diameter, but I digress). Even with my thin wrists, I love smartwatches and wear one everyday.

The main portion of the watch (essentially everything but the watch band) is called the watch "case" and is typically measured in millimeters.

53d0277938165d7940dcf4fe7c904c31.jpg

What size watch you wear is really a personal preference and choice of style... There isn't a clear, defined right or wrong.

Were you interested in a particular smartwatch? I'll see if I can help with pictures from someone with a very similar wrist size as you.

Some pics below for you:

5b351ea4e1b9975fd57efc901b407b9c.jpg

Moto 360 on my wrist

dfde300b658927a122639b02b19c3c8a.jpg

Original Pebble for comparison (pardon the dirt :) )

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a very helpful post! One view that often isn't shown is the thickness of the Moto 360--that might also be helpful for the OP, since it can also factor into how bulky it may look on a smaller wrist.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Is the upcoming huawai or urbane coming in more than one size? Or did I imagine that?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Is the upcoming huawai or urbane coming in more than one size? Or did I imagine that?
As far as I know, the Apple watch is the first smartwatch to recognize the size problem and make two different sizes of the same watch (38mm & 42mm)... for the time being at least. Yes, I know, I know... This is an Android site, so for informational purposes only :) .

The huawei watch is 42mm watch case and a 18mm watch band from what I read online (I don't have one).
a20e7d1ffd25c67e6f41059242a7946b.jpg

The urbane and urbane LTE use the same P-OLED screen but with slightly different bezels, so I imagine they will be very similar in size to each other as well.

As I mentioned above tho, the size or style of a watch is really up to the wearer... Watches have always been a bit of a personal statement about your sense of style more than anything else. Up to you what your comfortable with really.

Last edited:

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

That's a very helpful post! One view that often isn't shown is the thickness of the Moto 360--that might also be helpful for the OP, since it can also factor into how bulky it may look on a smaller wrist.
Good point... I'll post up some more pics from different angles tonight :) .

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

As far as I know, the Apple watch is the first and only smartwatch to recognize the size problem and make two different sizes of the same watch (38mm & 42mm)... Yes, I know, I know... This is an Android site, so for informational purposes only :) .

The huawei watch is 42mm watch case and a 18mm watch band from what I read online (I don't have one).
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/10/a20e7d1ffd25c67e6f41059242a7946b.jpg

The urbane and urbane LTE use the same P-OLED screen but with slightly different bezels, so I imagine they will be very similar in size to each other as well.

As I mentioned above tho, the size or style of a watch is really up to the wearer... Watches have always been a bit of a personal statement about your sense of style more than anything else. Up to you what your comfortable with really.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of! Huawei band size is 18mm which is much smaller than the current standard 22mm. But what I remembered was it was a choice (at least of band size, maybe not watch size) between 18 and something larger. But I have nothing to back that up. ;)

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Yes, this is what I was thinking of! Huawei band size is 18mm which is much smaller than the current standard 22mm. But what I remembered was it was a choice (at least of band size, maybe not watch size) between 18 and something larger. But I have nothing to back that up. ;)
It's possible... There are a lot of adapters and things that can allow bigger or smaller wrist bands to be used on a variety of watches. So, even if Huawei didn't offer the option, you could probably add it later.

One good example of this is the SteelConnect M adapters available for the Moto 360 as seen over on sister site, Connectedly HERE.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Just so everyone is on the same page, I think I should cover what we mean when we say "my wrist is 15cm or however many" and how to measure your own wrist for comparison.

The only thing you'll need is a flexible measuring tape. You can print out a picture of a ruler or measuring scale if you don't have one on your home computer and then just cut out and wrap the printed paper around your wrist to measure. I used a tailor's tape measure as it was readily available (pic below), but whatever will work to give you an idea of what your wrist size is.

9cd8ac65ae101a66e4a501f9fcdec3d8.jpg

Now that's out of the way... On to the comparison pics...

One view that often isn't shown is the thickness of the Moto 360--that might also be helpful for the OP, since it can also factor into how bulky it may look on a smaller wrist.

I have taken several pictures of my rather thin 15cm diameter wrist at different angles with a few different watches in order to offer a comparison and visual example to help others on their decision of which smartwatch is for them.

My apologies if you feel this is all a bit silly, but as the OP mentions, its not always an option for a perspective buyer to go and try out all the options for themselves.

15bc323490eb7932e414d5064fe6f389.jpg

Moto 360
diameter - 46mm
thickness - 11.5mm

ebfca4592b4e2513d2e56456f7160d11.jpg

Moto 360 thickness

f80b14cb382a6466cd673f44785602be.jpg

LG G Watch

f27d7dfed92bb6e5a23a89b4f4120299.jpg

LG G Watch thickness

LG G Watch Specs:
03f42f18be343ec461232221a9702a9d.jpg

748492fe3283ba6edfa4fb62852f73df.jpg

Asus ZenWatch
51 x 39.9 x 7.9 ~ 9.4 mm (LxWxH)

9e8e7fd053a3f34e6ff0160fc48b86ef.jpg

Asus ZenWatch thickness

And just for comparison... Some traditional "non-smart" watches:

924bc8136288dddc352221c8131cd1f2.jpg

Traditional round watch
diameter without crown - 44mm or 1.73 inch
diameter with crown - 52.5mm or 2.04 inch
thickness - 13 mm or 0.51 inch

68bbf954e5d7da9e3c8a5543917c8bdc.jpg

Traditional round watch thickness

057f4efd5a12a07cb0cce08cdfdd6e07.jpg

Traditional square watch

163d6f60008c91360d488a79ffd6cd7a.jpg

Traditional square watch thickness

Hope it helps... If you want to see a different angle or a different smartwatch, let me know.

Also be sure to check out sister site, Connectedly for lots more smartwatch info, news and reviews!

Last edited:

pcsguy88

May 12, 2015
Visit site

I also have small wrists and wear bands 2-3 holes from the smallest setting. I went with the Zenwatch and have worn it daily for 3 weeks now without it ever being uncomfortable or feeling it looked awkward (girlfriend confirmed). The clasp on the stock band is made for larger wrists and replaced with a variety of 22mm leather and nylon bands with quick release pins from Fossil on day one. This is the other reason I went with the Zen, any standard band will fit it, so I could make it my own and wear it from formal to active and anywhere in between. It truly is a good looking watch that never looks out of place with the appropriate band.

Last edited:

Thomas Hemetri

May 25, 2015
Visit site

Well, It did not see the selector. Badelhas did you have any crack on rear of the watch with this one ?

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

In relation to the issue with small wrists, I struggled with getting a smartwatch initially. I wanted the LG g watch due to its low cost just to try out android wear but that big slate just looked too big on my wrist ( I have 15 cm / 6 inch circumference size wrist) and after trying on smartwatches I went with the moto 360. It has a big screen but due to the super thin bezel around it, the watch actually doesn't overbear the wrist so unlike the g watch r /urbane it doesn't look ridiculous on a small wrist.

I hope they bring out more options for slim wrists because most android wear watches are huge

Posted via the Android Central App

Fifen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
thanks everyone. I just quickly read through everything. I have thin wrists too.
I have been wanting a smartwatch but on the fence cause of my small wrists. I especially wanted the moto, considering its price cut (dont want to break the bank of a watch) and I love the round watch's. I almost got the alcatel onetouch cause of smaller size but was turned off due to no android wear. after seeing the discussion and images (thanks for those) I feel more assured in the moto.:)