Apple watch series 2 vs Current android wear contenders

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So I have used android phones for as long as I have used a smart phone (about 10 years now).
I use apple computers but I have never opted for the iPhone. I am neither an iPhone lover or hater, I have just preferred android for myself.

I have been looking for a reason to get a smart watch but they have all fallen short (including the first gen apple watches). I have used the Fitbit surge for the last 8 months or so and I like it but it is not really a smart watch.

What I wanted in a smart watch:
1) stand alone gps for run/hike tracking
2) able to swim in it/water resistant
3) pair with phone for call and text notifications.
(I do not want my watch to have a separate phone number/pay for ANOTHER device on my cell plan)
4) simple texting from the device (when paired with the phone)
5) able to hold a portion of playlists on the phone for playing through a headphone separate from the phone (i.e. I can leave my phone at home and listen to music from my watch).
6) good voice activation/controls
7) good battery life

The new apple watch seems to hit almost all of these, except of course I would have to switch to an iPhone which I do not want to do. Also as far as I can tell if you are not actively paired with your phone you loose all voice activation/command options. I am not going to be switching to a new phone for at least 6-9 months. Am I missing an android wear watch out there that does what I want and isn't apple?

Thx
-spg

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
So I have used android phones for as long as I have used a smart phone (about 10 years now).
I use apple computers but I have never opted for the iPhone. I am neither an iPhone lover or hater, I have just preferred android for myself.

I have been looking for a reason to get a smart watch but they have all fallen short (including the first gen apple watches). I have used the Fitbit surge for the last 8 months or so and I like it but it is not really a smart watch.

What I wanted in a smart watch:
1) stand alone gps for run/hike tracking
2) able to swim in it/water resistant
3) pair with phone for call and text notifications.
(I do not want my watch to have a separate phone number/pay for ANOTHER device on my cell plan)
4) simple texting from the device (when paired with the phone)
5) able to hold a portion of playlists on the phone for playing through a headphone separate from the phone (i.e. I can leave my phone at home and listen to music from my watch).
6) good voice activation/controls
7) good battery life

The new apple watch seems to hit almost all of these, except of course I would have to switch to an iPhone which I do not want to do. Also as far as I can tell if you are not actively paired with your phone you loose all voice activation/command options. I am not going to be switching to a new phone for at least 6-9 months. Am I missing an android wear watch out there that does what I want and isn't apple?

Thx
-spg

I'd look at the Garmin VivoActive if you really value battery life. I love my Microsoft Band, but that's a day of battery life. I don't know if either will do everything you want there, but they might do most of it.

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, the Garmin VivoActive is a very interesting option. It still is not exactly a smart watch, but it looks like it could be a great upgrade from my Fitbit surge.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, the Garmin VivoActive is a very interesting option. It still is not exactly a smart watch, but it looks like it could be a great upgrade from my Fitbit surge.

It's a smartwatch in the same way the Pebble is a smart watch. I went with the band when everyone else went with the VivoActive. With the fate of the band in question, I'm kind of bummed I didn't get the VivoActive.

Good luck!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
for the watch to be standalone it has to have working phone number....for it to work. Not a number people call. You can however put your phone number into forward and if you are hiking then you can have the freedom of only using the watch. The G2 is a standalone. I have it and I now have it with my apple. I upgraded to the iphone with not being happy with issues with Samsung right now...on me. And with the setup I believe it is going to do what I need it to do. It was just announced close to a week ago that Samsung was making the watch available to be compatible with Apple. And knowing that made me decide to jump. I have always had Android and want to try iOS.
Apple watch is only bluetooth and can't be standalone.
Bluetooth can be used 30 ft away. I had a blutooth prior to getting the S2. I really like the smartwatch. It is a great compliment to the phone. But know the only way to use alone is standalone and if taking on a hike and only BT you won't be able to get the full functionality of the watch. Phone calls messages need to be near the phone to work via bluetooth

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty