what's more worth it, Android wear software or Samsung gear hardware?

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi Daniel. I'm trying to decide on a smartwatch and I am very torn between going with an android wear watch or a Samsung gear watch.

It seems to me that the Samsung gear watches have great hardware and a quick and pleasant software experience. However with a lacking s-voice and app options, I worry that I'd be missing out on the software side if I were to go that route.

On the flip side, android wear seems to have way more potential but the overall experience isn't as good as gear watches at the moment and battery life isn't as good.

Do you think it's worth going with an android wear watch for the potential it holds? Or do you think it won't be in a really good spot for another 2 years or so in which case I'd get a gear watch now and a new one in 2 years?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! (Just for some side info, I have a Pixel XL and I'm choosing between the gear s2 and probably the LG watch style. Fitness stuff isn't very important to me and neither is GPS. Looks and notifications are most important)

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I know, a month later! I'm really sorry. I think the Gear S3 is a great smartwatch with some good ideas, but I do think that, for the average Android user, an Android Wear 2.0 smartwatch will end up being a better investment in the long run. I just think Google has more developer support, and will end up supporting AW itself for longer than Samsung will update individual smartwatches, since Google has less incentive to sell you new hardware than Samsung.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699